Bathroom Refurb

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gareth wallwin, Aug 12, 2016.

1. gareth wallwin

gareth wallwin New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so please go easy on me! I'm just a DIY'er.

Today I Kango'd most of the tiles off the ensuite. Two solid walls with two layers of tiles (!!), two stud walls with plywood under the tiles. The first set for tiles on the solid wall came off no problem, but the adhesive and second set of tiles is proving to be a nightmare, very very slow work to bring it back to breeze block.

A few questions -

Is it necessary to remove the second set of tiles and get back to breeze block? I'm just painting this part of the wall, but need something flat to paint onto. Can it just be plasterboarded over?

On the stud walls, should I remove the ply and then put plasterboard on, then skim? This area won't get wet, it'll be painted.

The only part that's getting tiled is around the shower area? The area is a mix of Ply and solid walls (the two layers of tiles!) What prep is needed before tiling? A moisture resistant plasterboard?

Thank you very much.

2. Hi Gazza (I bet you hate that... :rolleyes:)

The breeze block wall - which you want flat for painting - is I reckon most easily sorted by 'dot and dabbing' a new p'board sheet over it. I presume the wall is currently very bumpy, but that's ok as the adhesive used for D&Ding will cope with large gaps, easily up to 20mm and beyond.

Essentially you apply lots of dabs of adhesive to the wall, and then place the p'board against it, using a long flat batten to ensure it's nicely vertical and flat.

On the stud walls wot has ply on it, unless the ply layer is good for something (makes it easy to screw things to the wall, for example) then you can either remove it to replace it with p'board, or else chust p'board over it. Use screws, and ensure they land on the studs, so mark out their positions first. If the ply is thick enough - at least 12mm, tho' ideally more, then I guess screws can go anywhere...

For the shower area, you really want a reliable waterproof base to tile on to, and the best stuff is proper aqua board of various makes. I'm not sure if this can also be D&Ded on, or whether screws are needed, but I suspect adhesive is fine - but confirm.

How waterproof is water-resistant p'board? I'd be tempted to use the 'right' stuff - proper waterproof tiling back board.

gareth wallwin likes this.
  3. gareth wallwin

4. gareth wallwin

Many thanks.. I hate Gazza!!

But thanks!!

5. :D You're welcome.

Dazza Advazza