Bathroom tiling - fit bath then tile or tile then fit bath

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by buildit, Apr 8, 2004.

1. buildit

buildit New Member

Anybody any ideas on do you fit the bath then do the tiling or do the tiling and then fit the bath
    Was going to tile behind the toilet and hand basin first but not sure about the bath

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Fit the bath then tile around it.

When you tile around it get some of that bath and tile surround from the DIY mercants. This is placed upon the bath and the other leaf is tiled over using the first course of tiles. Do this in addition to silicone sealing the space between the bath and the wall, and you should have a seal that prevents both bath and shower water getting behind the bath.

With regard to your toilet and basin, whether you tile first then fit is up to you. Personally I fit then tile. With a decent tile cutter, cutting them is a doddle.

Good luck!

Hugo

3. mj

mj Guest

If you have the luxury of not needing to use the bath, then tile before you put it in. It's much easier & less chance of damaging the bath. Just fit the last row of tiles adjacent to the bath after fitting. Using plastic trims around the bath is no substitute for fitting the bath properly against the wall(with support battens to stop flexing). Silicone around the bath before & after tiling to ensure a good seal. Plastic trims look ***** especially when the rubber sealing strip discolours (They do everytime!). Always tile behind basins & toilets if possible, as it looks pretty naff when you try to cut the tiles around sanitaryware!

4. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

This is another school of thought, equally valid. However, a sturdy dust sheet over the bath and good housekeeping will keep tiles away from the bath.

Then again, it's also a question of access. you may find it easier to tile without the bath in the way.

As for the rubber edging strips on the seal discolouring, does anyone know of silicone sealent that doesn't?

CC

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Well, I tiled first and left the row of tiles around the bath as suggested. I put a steel bath in and I carefully siliconed this to the wall and then I also put the under tile drip cill in. I actually silicoined this to the bath and tiled over but did not fix the tang under the tile so it allows for slight movement.

I guess this combines both of the methods suggested but I take the point about discoloration. A good jiffing cleans it up though.

Certainly tile behind toilets and basins, you may have to change them in the future and this will make life a lot easier.

DWD

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

I've only done this once, but I fitted the bath as level as possible, then coz it was a plastic bath, I filled it with hot water and siliconed it around the wall. Then I got a spirit level and drew a level line around the wall, above the bath, so that I could see where the level was for the tiles. I'm glad I did it, as the bath against the wall was not level, not sure why as I had adjustable feet and I made sure that the bottom of the bath sloped towards the drain. I also think my floor was not level.

Anyway, then I tiled, making sure that the top of the first row of tiles was level, I had to cut some of the bottom edges of the tiles to butt to the bath. All in all, it seemed to work really well. SO DEFINITELY BATH FIRST THEN TILE - it worked for me in this case.

With respect to the silicon sealant changing colour, I thought I used sanitary silicon sealant on my shower and it has started to turn pink. Does anyone think this is normal?

I was also going to tile my shower, then i found mermaid shower panels, 8'x4' from my local builders merchants. I stuck two of them up with polyeurathane adhesive aginst the internal walls, added the shower glass side and door, sealed the joints and hey presto, an instant and long lasting shower cubicle.

Might not be much help, but I thought I'd chip in anyway.
    Jonesy

7. buildit

buildit New Member

Thanks everyone

8. jimbo

jimbo Guest

Hi Jonesy..I think I have the answer...Domestic bleach will turn silicone pink after a while..so if anyone has been using this ,blame her

9. mj

mj Guest

Humidity is the main enemy of silicone.
    Wipe down tiles (especially bath/tile join) after use.
    This alone will reduce the chances of mildew forming.
    An extractor fan is also very important, as opening the window during the winter months will make the condensation worse.
    Use good (sanitary grade) silicone such as Dow Corning 785 or BAL (this one has microban in).
    I've yet to find a silicone that doesn't eventually go black, but using the above mentioned & good housekeeping should make it last for several years.

10. Comeinhandy

Comeinhandy New Member

Quite an old question but for people newly coming across tiling issues around baths, showers, shelves, toilets etc then I found this helpful...

11. Comeinhandy

Comeinhandy New Member

Followed by..

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It was 11 years ago that the question was asked!

How did you find this video?

Was it when you recorded it in your own bathroom?