Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Sheep, May 9, 2013.

1. Sheep

Sheep New Member

Hi

I wonder if any one here can help.

Can I charge my car battery while its in the car. My battery is flat and is a pain to remove and refit.

Would this cause any damage charging in situ.

Cheers

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Some/most cars have advice NOT to charge while attached and connected.

But as long as all connections are safely apart, no problem.

<strong style="text-decoration: underline;">You will of course still have the off-chance of toxic fumes being ignited and blowing the car up.[/b]

Your choice.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Two other points batteries get hot when charging and buried in the batt box there is little air flow and you need to loosen the caps when charging so acid can spit onto paintwork.
    Much better to remove it or just jump start and go for a drive.

teabreak

4. Blimey, showing yer age there, Teabreak! "Loosen the caps" indeed!

And overheating? Nah - the charge froma car alternator is FAR higher than a standard charger.

Sheep, I suspect the car manufacturer's recommendation is in case some twit connects the leads up with t'wrong polarity - that could certainly foff up a modern car's electronics and alternator and stuff (don't forget car stereos and central locking & alarm systems are permanently connected...), but - if you are carefully - I can't see any problems.

Obviously connect up the leads with ther charger turned off... And charge at its lowest setting (if there's a choice).

Obviously, you still take some 'risk' doing this as the manufacturer says 'non'. What kind of car do you have, and how old?

5. Sheep

Sheep New Member

Thanks for the help

I knew it would have to be vented, but never thought of overheating.

Think I best go and get one of them jump starter packs as where is parked in the garage I would not get a lead even close to the battery.

Cheers

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

save your money

just run a 230v extension lead out and plug the car charger in next to the car - it'll probably only take 5 minutes to put enough charge back into it for it to start - then go for a little drive

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi DA, I wondered about that but it was explained to me that whilst an alternator is punching in much more than a charger, current is also being drawn to run the car and all the bits and bobs cars are fitted with these days, so the battery is in a sense "working" rather than just sitting there plus there is airflow around it whilst the car is in use.

What do you mean showing my age!
    I know that some cars no longer have a starting handle and the system of vacuum wipers that slow down as you drive faster is I believe on the way out, but all the trendy cars have gone back to starter buttons. Albeit not in the proper place on the floor beside the seat.
    Mark my words foot operated dip switches and quarter lights will be back soon;)

Regards,
    teabreak

8. Mr. Handyandy

Teabreak, I think DA was referring to loosening caps for ventilation. Most are now sealed, or not designed to have any caps removed.

Sheep, if you only want to get it started, it is possible to jumpstart from the charger. Just be quick about it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Strange that most maufacturers advise against charging the battery on the car, but still include advice about jump starting a car. Do they not realise that when you connect the jump leads, the stronger battery starts charging the weaker battery?.

10. Mr. Handyandy

It's because a jumpstart requires only a short period of connection, less chance of gases and heat build-up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Gases ma botty.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Haven't you got that sorted yet, DA ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Starslikedust likes this.