BAXI Solo 2PF will not fire

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by phil_d_r, Apr 19, 2009.

1. phil_d_r

phil_d_r New Member

Hi, I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my boiler. Its a BAXI Solo 2PF and it will not start.

If I turn the mains on, and set the potentiometer to midway on the scale, theres a 10 second delay before the Boiler On LED lights up. Then nothing. No Fan, No Pilot (no Spark). The only LED that remains on is the "Boiler On" one. The controls are calling for heat, and the pump is running.

The manual suggests that I should test the pilot solenoid. Is this the gas valve? I'd be very grateful for pointers on how to test it.

Any other ideas on what could be the issue are greatly appreciated.

2. Kardon81

Kardon81 New Member

Common problem on this particular model of boiler.
    To test the solenoid you need to isolate the boiler from the mains elecs and located your gas meter.
    Turn off the gas and then call a suitably qualified person who is able to conduct the work safely.

3. wettneck

wettneck New Member

If youve got no fan,then you wont have a firing sequence.I would suggest you get a competant person in to check fan and pcb.

4. mad.max

mad.max New Member

The frustrating thing about this type of fault is that the board runs a check on most of the boiler components. If any one fails, then there is no progress. You have to then test pretty much everything. Obviously, experience helps.

5. naughtyboy

naughtyboy New Member

we have this carp boiler and it breaks down with that sort of fault every few years and it's a pcb replacement every time 4 so far in 15 years

6. silversurfer$$

silversurfer$$ New Member

For now i would ignore the manual, if you have a heating signal on from the programmer the first action will be the fan, once the fan is running the air pressure switch should be activated, this in turn will bring on the spark at the electrode and open the pilot solenoid for the pilot to be lit, once the board receives its dc signal back from the flame rectification it will the open the main solenoid for main burner.

Cant remember if the limit stat on the solo is resettable or not check this first.

so first check is there 240VAC at the fan if so and its not running then there is your problem, if there is no voltage at the fan then check the air pressure switch is not stuck in the wrong position, pull off a tube and manually operate it to free it off.

If your fan still isnt running and has no voltage i would expect it to be a pcb issue but a little difficult to be sure from my keyboard.

cheers

j

7. bowie

bowie New Member

Hi, a competent person resisted with the NEW!! Gas Safe Register will need to test the following: correct voltage to the boiler and the switched live has 240v, resistance check over the igniters Blue & Orange & Blue & red, should be 1.5 & 5 ohms, Overheat stat for continuity, APS for continuity over C & NC and 240v @ Common, thermostat resistance 1.5 ohms, carry out the test in the manual for the potentiometer test. If all ok then you will get 240v at the fan, if not PCB. Hope this helps but if you are resisted with Gas Safe then call BAXI technical. PCB around £130. Good Luck

8. phil_d_r

phil_d_r New Member

Thanks all for your help - sorry for late reply.
    Ok so what I did was to check if the fan actually worked by wiring direct to 240v..and it worked..so I then thought based on what the firing sequence was and the fan not starting that the PCB was at fault. I ordered new PCB, installed it. I switched it on and the fan started followed by the pilot and shortly thereafter by a full burn.

Again thanks for all the really useful info - hopefully I'll get more than another 3 years out of the new PCB (that's how long the previous one lasted).