Bedroom floor over 400mm centre joists

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, May 13, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I will be laying new floor in bedroom once built, on this i will be building in an en suite that will eventually have tiled floor. I was looking at 18mm T&G green board but because part of this will end up in the ensuite constructed from stud walls, will i be better using 18mm ply so i can tile on it? Tech drawings say 22mm T&G but I thought 22mm was 600mm joists?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can put ply down yes, but you'll have to fix noggins at every join otherwise your floor will flex, which the tiles and grout will not like, and the noggins may get in the way of wastes, cables etc, so may need a bit of planning. As long as you glue and screw the ply to joists with polyurethane glue and 65mm screws it it should be fine to take the tiles. Some will say put ditra matting down on ply before tiling, as it is top stuff but very expensive, your call on that one, but at the very least you'll need flexible fast set adhesive and flexible grout later on.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Use 18mm Hardie Flooring - T&G 500 wide 2500 long. Tile direct on to it. Slightly more expensive that ply, but easier to lay and ready to finish

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

With ply I can cut the boards to finish over joists, maybe add some batten on one side for extra support, but what do you do with T&G if it does not finish on a joist, i.e mid span? Most of floor will be bedroom not tiled, just the ensuite will be tiled. Not sure the chipboard is an option because of this. Hardie Flooring costs a kings ransom lol

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You either make the t+g land on a joist by cutting more or less off the ends, or cut and fix noggins in between the joists to take the end of the chipboard.