Beginner looking for tiling prep help

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by KentishBeginner, Aug 22, 2015.

1. KentishBeginner

KentishBeginner New Member

Hi All

Girlfriend and I have just bought our first place, great feeling but a bit overwhelming! As you can imagine money's a bit tight and we're trying to do as much as we can ourselves. Just started on the bathroom. We're getting a pro in to fit the bath etc, but we're doing all the prep and tiling ourselves.

We've replaced all the plasterboard, which we're going to tile straight onto. I understand it needs pretreatment (NOT PVA!!!). Usually I would joint the plasterboard with scrim and filler if I was going to have it plastered, but as we'll be applying tile adhesive is this needed?

Thanks in advance for any advice. As I seem to find 2 more questions for everything I figure our, I think his could be the first post of many

KB

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Tile straight on to the board, if its in a wet area though ie: a shower or where a shower will run on to it, you should have used a waterproof tile board instead of plasterboard, if it isn't, then go for it, using a waterproof adhesive and grout.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Phil said. If using tub adhesive, then just lay onto PB. If using bagged, then you may need a primer. You can also buy a brush on tanking system if you're really keen for about 50 notes. If the baths fitted well and you grout and silicone properly then all will be well till the next refurb :)