Best black iron jointing method

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Plumber's Mait, Apr 9, 2005.

1. r2d2.

r2d2. New Member

Seen a large steam installation once. Nothing but ptfe used on joints from 1 inch right up to 3 inch . Apparently the boss white and hemp burns out at high temperature. Regards r2d2.

2. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

with gas, I would cut the thread a little tighter and use just jointing compound, as has been said hemp can not be used on gas.

3. doitall

doitall New Member

You could just use gas compond but not a guaranteed joint, over a long run it could also fail with vibration and expansion.

In this case I will be using welded flanges on the 3" and locktite string on the 2" down

4. rocketron

rocketron New Member

Doital i hope you dont have to cut the threads by hand like i did as a lad, we had a set of Bridges adjustable dies, would not like dto do it now.

5. doitall

doitall New Member

no; will be using a Rigid threading machine, done my share with the old hand dies lol not about to start again

6. hawkwhite is ok on (natural) gas by itself, like i say for domestic, not sure about big stuff 2" plus...

LPG requires a different, but similar/thicker compound, such as calortex (think thats whats its called!)