Best route to become an Electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Martin_25, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Martin_25

Martin_25 New Member

Hi im 25 working in IT but want to train as an Electrician. What i want to do is get the qualifications i need so i can actually work and earn a fairly descent wage whilst also getting hands on experience (ideally working for an agency, ive got a family so need at least £7p.h so couldnt afford to get paid peanuts whilst on the job training) and whilst doing that also attend a night course to get the qualifications to enable me to become self employed once ive got a couple of years experience under my belt.
    Ive seen 3 courses at my college:

1. <u>Electrical Installation - Part 1 City and Guilds 2330 (evening), Duration: 1 Year £250</u>
    It states at the bottom of this course: "After you complete the course, you could progress to:-
    City and Guilds 2330 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 - so would that be another year ?

2. <u>Electrical Installation - IEE Wiring Regulations (BS7671) 16th Edition - City and Guilds 2381 Duration: 13 Weeks £150</u>

3. <u>Electrical Installation - Inspection, Testing & Certification City and Guilds 2391-01 Duration: 12 Weeks £280</u>

Would i be able to complete courses 2381 & then 2391 (total 25 weeks) and then be qualified to work for an agency as a qualified electrician and get some "work experience", if so what other qualifications would i need to obtain so i could become self employed? If not whats the best route, considering my age and that i cant work for peanuts ?
    Any advice would be great!
    Thanks
    Martin

2. Martin_25

Martin_25 New Member

Sorry forgot to say that i would be doing those courses in the evening whilst working in my current job, and then once certified in what i need, would get a job as an electrician with an agency

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sorry forgot to say that i would be doing those
    courses in the evening whilst working in my current
    job, and then once certified in what i need, would
    get a job as an electrician with an agency

You might! Problem is you have no experience actually working as a spark. It's quite tuff, especially when you are faced with real situations outside of the nice comfy four walls of a college. Getting quals is one thing but you will need a bit more than that to work for an agency. They will soon blow you out when you start to make mistakes (and you will without training). Unless, like me, you have at least done a lot of reading up and DIY over the years to hone it to a professional standard backed up by the quals. Have you? Its not sounding like you have put much thought in to it. Try getting a job as an adult trainee and earn 4-5 quid per hour to see if it will suit you. Then go for it. There is also Part P to consider now in the domestic work place and you wont have a enough to get in.

UP

4. TsparkT

TsparkT New Member

Martin

I have done what you were doing, I was in IT and wanted to change career. I did the c&g 2360 parts 1&2 which is now the new 2330. What I would advise is for you to do you evening classes in 2330 parts 1&2 then you can do your 2381 & 2391 and continue with your current job. To gain experience find an electrician who works weekends he may pay you a small wage for helping but go with the view you may have to work for free but you are gaining the experience you need. There is no way you can say you are qualified by just going to college and getting the quals, there is loads to learn on site, tricks of the trade which you can't learn in college. This is what I did and I've learn't loads from this electrician stuff not covered in college. Once you feel that you have enough experience and feel confident in what you are doing, then go to agencies or out into the big wide world on your own by getting signed up with one of the domestic installer schemes.

Hope this helps

TsparkT

5. e30mark

e30mark Member

The CG2330 course takes 3 years! I'm on the old CG2360 course at the mo (Last year starts sept!!!)

Then you need CG2391 - Testing

Then if your feeling in the need for some more exams take the CG2381 - IEE Regs