Best Tool for Sanding Walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mackie, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi All Fixers,

I have stripped the wallpaper in my lounge and found that the wall's behind are not brilliant for finish.

As I will have a lot of filling to do I am going to blast through this then have a day were I clear the room of furniture and blitz it for sanding.  What is th best tool for sanding a large area fast.  Some of the sanding will be simple polyfilla but other areas will be existing thistle finishing plaster (pink in colour I think that is what it is called).

Would you suggest a 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet or Random Orbital electric sander or even Hand sander??  There are quiet a few posts already on here but they seem quiet old.

I will be papering eventually but I need to improve the state of the walls first.

Thanks to all in advance

Mackie

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Whatever you use, you will have to be careful because the filling and the plaster will have different densities and rubbing across will take more off the softer and less off the harder, leaving an unflat surface.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. mackie

mackie Member

Thanks Andy

But what would be the best tool for the job, if I am going to splash out any money I want to get the right (best) thing.

Thanks

4. ccmiller

ccmiller New Member

if i'm understanding the question right, then it sounds like you had the finish that i've got... i used a 1/4 sheet sander with a coarse sand paper to take the high points off, then changed to a fine sandpaper to get a very neat finish... it wasn't perfect by any means.. but it got there.

one other option to consider... could you not reskim it? it sounds like that will be the best finish you'll get.

5. Danblez

Danblez New Member

I have just spent weeks sanding the walls on my stairs and landing and all I used was a B&D mouse (really should have just hung lining paper but we live and learn eh?). It was far more effective than I imagined. However if there are large areas that need to be smoothed off I would probably go for a 1/2 sheet sander but then if you need to get into the corners the mouse is very handy.

One thing to be careful of is the general state of the plaster, if it is very loose and there are lots of cracks expect a sander to make this worse as it gets vibrated to death. If it is all fairly sound though you should be OK.

Mackie............the choice is yours.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Half-sheet sander/vibrator ?

Better off clipping the paper on and pushing the machine by hand(or use a similar sized hand sander).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. chongqqingalpha

chongqqingalpha New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator due to unsuitable content

8. surfermick

surfermick New Member

a block of wood and some 80 grade will be enough to sand fresh plaster.

9. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Product Code: 33586

Try using the above - pole sander

Work through some grades of paper and get a good rhythm going and you can cover a large area in a descent time
    You can sand tops of walls without using steps so again saves time

10. mackie

mackie Member

thanks for all the replies, actually I am going to get someone in to skim the wall as the plaster at the top has also blown

11. John19

John19 New Member

I bought an orbital sander 380 Watts, Energy make only to find that a warning in the box not to use on plaster! Makes sence as the dust will be drawn into any motor with a cooling fan opening and likely go hard with any moister in the air once it cools, so don't waste your money.

12. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Would think it's a completed task by now as the post is 4 year old!:rolleyes: