Best tool to cut a kitchen worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tacopowell, Apr 3, 2016.

1. tacopowell

tacopowell New Member

Hi,
    First of many posts I'm sure!

I've recently started doing work on the side, handyman bits!

Just been asked to do a fairly bigger job then I'm used too,

I need to raise part of a kitchen worktop to the same height as the rest of the kitchen, the worktop in question is around 3 meters in length and has intergrated fridge, freezer,
    the customer wants to keep half at the lower height and the other half raised to fit a base unit or two and a normal washing machine (plumbing already in place).

Where I need to cut the 38mm thick worktop is backed up to a tiled wall so using a router and jig is out of the question as I need to cut right up to the wall to make the full 600mm cut.

My question for you lovely folk is, Using a Jigsaw (the only real option I can think of), what blade would you use to make the cut?

I read that a downcutting/reversed blade is the key to prevent chipping,
    However I've also read that the main blade on the market for the job the Bosch T101BR aren't what they used to be and cutting with a Jigsaw can wander leaving you with a not very straight cut that also doesn't cut a proper 90* cut

I've read that scoring the top with a fresh knife blade and a fresh fine tooth handsaw will do a pretty good job, I'm happy to use a metal worktop end to cover the eventual end that will be on show.

I can part around £150 on the correct tool!

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

track saw and fine tooth blade in a multi tool to finish

3. tacopowell

tacopowell New Member

Out of my budget!

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can you remove the worktop?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A Fein multimaster will do the job if slowly and then you will have a fantastic tool at the end of the job.

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Simplest way, sit on the work top and cut it by hand with a fine tooth hand saw. Sometimes using hand tools is the best way.

CGN likes this.
  7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

If it is clear underneath use a saw as above.

DaveF and CGN like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, good old handsaw. Anyway, depending on condition and quality of existing top, might be cost effective to replace existing with regards to a better/neater outcome.

9. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I must confess I can't really understand how you can get a jigsaw in to cut it and you can't get a router in. You don't need a jig for the router, just use a piece of 4x2 mdf or ply and clamp it to the worksurface in two places along the front edge of the worksurface. If it's aligned with the worksurface front then the cut will be square. Cut 95% with the router then carefully finish the rest with a handsaw. The router gives a perfect cut which will act as a guide for your handsaw. The only thing you need to be careful of is the edge of the worksurface to ensure the rotation of the router bit is not going to tear off a piece. It if is then cut the edge first with the handsaw. Just get the finest blade you can find and take your time.

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Time
    Or quicker and easier to just do it all by hand saw.

11. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Ditto, if there is room below fine toothed handsaw and maybe a multi-tool to cut below the tile line.