Best way to cut channel into concrete floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sappy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. sappy

sappy New Member

Hi,
    I would appreciate advice on the best way to cut a 30cm deep channel into the concrete floor of my kitchen bearing in mind that being internal area the issue of dust needs to be kept to a minimum.
    The channel is to enable us to lay a soil pipe to install a downstairs toilet. It's not viable to take pipe via any other route. Thanks

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

stitch drill and bolster - if you are a glutton for punishment and have a few days spare, but I suspect you will soon be looking to hire a sthil saw to get it done in an hour

cleaning is easy, chipping out a channel isn't so

sappy likes this.
  3. I wonder how thick the concrete slab is...?

Could it just be - cut-cut - lift out?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

whichever method you opt for make sure you reinstate the DPC (if you find one) when you backfill - and don't forget to correctly prepare the ground beneath the plumbing

5. sappy

sappy New Member

Hi Sean, thanks for your reply,
    I won't don't worry. :)
    Do you mean pea gravel under the pipe then DPC added and sealed to existing DPC then soil pipe added? Thanks Lisa

6. sappy

sappy New Member

hi,
    I intend doing a small test hole to see how deep the concrete,DPC etc but I doubt it would come up in a slab? Is this likely? Thanks Lisa

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yep something along those lines, just don't lay the plumbing directly onto the subsoil - I doubt you'll be able to get a contiguous joint to the existing DPC as it will be under the uncut slab, just laying some 1200 guage membrane on top of the backfill and under whatever you use to reinstate the slab should suffice - but there's a fair chance you'll just have a thick strong slab with no DPC

is there really no other option other than excavation ?

8. sappy

sappy New Member

Not that we can think of as toilet is to be under stairs in middle of house and drains are at rear of property. Don't want to have a soil pipe around two exterior walls which would be our only other option. Any ideas greatly appreciated and considered of course. :) thanks Lisa

9. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Maybe use a Saniflow?

10. sappy

sappy New Member

Don't want to use one of those. The noise they make will echo as we have quite a void under all rooms other than kitchen and where we want to put the toilet (partly under stairs) thought it best to do the job properly. :)

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you hire a sthil saw get one with a water connector on it, this can be connected to a hose pipe, this will of course make a wet slurry on the floor, but this will be a lot easier to clean up than dust all over the room/house will be.:)

sappy and vivaro man like this.
  12. I allways find a good old stick off TNT makes good channels in concrete lol