Best way to tackle this, 5 posts concreted together

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

20170709_165609.jpg I've got a bit of a problem that I'm not sure how to even start. As you can see from the photo, there is a small, very old concrete and pebble fence post and then there are 3 other 6ft posts from different fences and over time, as a new fence has been added, they've all ended up concreted together.

I now need to remove the small post and the post on the right. I can't get between the small post and the post behind it, and there is post at the back of the photo not shown that is a neighbour's garden which is also concreted firmly in by the green metal security fence that's been put up behind it.

How would you attack this? My first thought was to try and smash out the surrounding concrete with a digging bar round the small post, but someone has put steel and pebbles in the concrete so it's not budging much!

Any ideas welcome, cheers again :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SDS-Max Breaker & 4.5" grinder.

I would remove the lot & install a new post, will be a lot easier than fighting to remove just one in the long run.
    Trying to remove just one might loosen the others, or even break one, causing more problems.

A aerial shot taken from some tall steps would show things clearer.:)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Do you really need to remove them completely?
    Perhaps a solution is to just cut them off at the base using an angle grinder?

Regards
    Cando

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, here's an aerial shot, as best as I can do at the min as it's a bit mushy under foot for ladders. You can just make out the smallest post underneath the white post on the bottom left. I've had a prod around and they all seem to be connected. Regarding the SDS, I have one of these, might that be up to the job with the right chisel bit on?
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/97533

The green post is about 4-5 inches off the neighbour's pebbley post.

So ideally, white post bottom left is staying put. Pebbley post is staying put, green post is staying put, and small post bottom left is coming out along with white post in centre.
    20170712_111410.jpg

5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, no, if I can get away with cutting off just below ground level, for the small post at least, that would be OK for me. I'm going up to the green fence with the new fence, and I think if I left the post in the centre of the pic above^^, then it might make it more difficult to get the right position for the new post going in?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would remove two white posts & fit a single corner post,but best solution is out with the lot & sort it properly, as with all exsisting concrete, your going to struggle with concrete for new post.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks again, I'll see if i can hire a breaker locally, that should make things a bit easier!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good sds-max breaker will make short work of all that concrete.
    Used a Hilti TE 1500-AVR here to break up living floor & a garden path, made my old Bosch sds max breaker look pathetic.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, did you hire it? if so, what kind of price?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate, I'll check em out :D

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd start by wobbling the heck out of that small post. Might find it isn't as well attached as you think it is.

Monkey Chops likes this.