Biscuit Joint With A Router

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Joe95, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'd like to learn how to make biscuit joints by practicing making some picture frames. I have a Dewalt DW631 and wondered if there is a bit suitable for using with that router.
    Is it just a case of setting the bit depth and plunging side on into the wood?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You could cut "biscuit" slots with a router by setting the depth and sliding the router into the timber. Whilst the thickness will be ok the length could be a little off - but won't be seen.
    however you could try cutting a spline joint or even sections of a spline joint.

upload_2016-9-30_16-11-9.jpeg

Or for drawers you could try a lock joint

[​IMG]

Your router is more than capable of doing these - If you google "slot cutting router bit" there are quite a few out there

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Joe95 likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can get 4mm slotter cheaper elsewhere.
    The problem with biscuit joining a picture frame is that unless it is a very large frame the slot will show.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Does this work in the same way, by sliding the router in? it seems like a much stronger joint

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm not so fussed about them being on show, its just a little project with left over materials. I want to have some confidence in doing them, i plan on gutting and replacing my kitchen later this year!

I've been looking at different joints for a while, the one sospan suggested seems stronger, being only the two pieces of wood, as opposed to a adding a biscuit

7. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

For Picture frames as your doing, you would really want to go with the Lock Joint, i used to do a fair bit of Framing years ago and that's how i done them. As always do a few test runs on scrap pieces to get an idea of what the finish will look like and make adjustments where needed before you go for the finished work.

Goodluck with it whichever method you choose

Bertie

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Its an awesome bit of kit! i bought it second hand when a chippie i know well upgraded to a Dewalt 625EK. I did not know quite how useful these were before then, one of the most versatile bits of kit!

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

For Joining the lock joint, would you just use wood glue, or would a few brad nails make any advantage?

10. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

For finished framing, Eg Ash, Mahogany, walnut etc i simply used carpenters wood glue and tied them up with sash clamps until dry, since then other products are available which i would use now such as mitre adhesive or joiners mate, you can also use a pin gun if you so choose.

Bertie

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You just run the bit along the edge from one side to the other. With these it is best to use a small router table - you can either make your own or get one from the local German mini mart for about £20 when they are on offer. They aren't fantastic but they are very light and portable quite a few trade guys keep on in the van because of this.

The lock joints are very strong

Practising splined joints is well worth it as they make incredibly strong joints and can be hidden or a decorative feature and you can use the slotting bit

upload_2016-10-1_12-9-11.png

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've ordered a Trend lock joint bit.
    I have been playing with a trend worktop jig i treated myself to yesterday on some chipboard sheets most of the morning.
    The guide bush makes things so much easier!
    I might make a little router table - if i were to use some sheet MDF with a hole in the middle, clamped to a workbench, would it work? I was thinking about just using a FCU to switch it on and off. Moneys tight now (too much spending!) so i might hold off on a router table.
    Thanks for all the replies, you guys make me feel real welcomed!

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem

Router tables are very much a personal thing, so many people make their own and then keep on There are lots of plans on the internet and videos on you tube. One thing when using a router table and cutting end grain on small strips, use a sled or fence and avoid holding in it in our hands

Joe95 likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look on Ebay for router table, might find a bargain.

15. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Nothing wrong with making one from MDF use 18mm for it. If you dont have the money for a router table dont buy one mate, because you would need to justify the investment and how much use you would get from it on a daily basis.

I would go with the MDF route for now, then build up towards a router table when you have the means. Quality tools are expensive and they take time to aquire, just view the home made router table as a stepping stone and practice.

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Exactly what i was thinking! Cheers buddy for the advice.

Bertiebasset likes this.