blistered emulsion paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by russ295, Mar 17, 2007.

1. russ295

russ295 New Member

hi
    i have a flat i rent out and it was plastered out a few years ago. in a few places the emulsion paint on the ceiling has started to bubble and blister, any ideas what could be the cause or better still a remedy for repainting.

thanks

russ

2. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Straight from DuluxTrade website
    How do I resolve blistering of paint on plaster?

Blistering can occur on plaster if you overcoat solvent-based paints such as gloss or eggshell with a conventional emulsion in an area that suffers from high levels of condensation. To resolve the problem, scrape back the blistered paint until you have a firm edge, feather lightly with abrasive paper and dust off. Now spot, prime and bring forward any bare areas with Dulux Primer Sealer, using Dulux Trade Alkali Resisting Primer on friable surfaces. Finally, repaint the surface using a thinned first coat of water-based Dulux Trade Quick Drying Eggshell followed by one or two full coats.

You don't have to use Dulux but do make sure it's trade quality paint.

Good Luck

3. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Russ, we need more info....to follow on from deadon's post...it was new plaster yes, did anyone paint oil based paint on it and then emulsion or water based paints?....maybe they did, please tell us.
    There are a variety of reasons why paint would bubble but we need more info.
    How thick was the plaster, how long before it was painted and with what? What are the conditions in the room, is it a room that suffers from condensation, is it a bathroom or a kitchen.
    Cait

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

cheers for the replys

it was skimmed over the existing painted ceiling, pva then multi finish, left to fully dry then painted with water based emulsion, its on a small ceiling thats part of a large stair case, but its only in a small local area about 6" dia. when other parts of the same area were plastered some of the plaster fell while it was being applied and took a thick layer of paint with it, hope this helps.

thanks

russ

5. paintycait

paintycait New Member

PVA is your problem. The paint is delaminating. Not a lot you can do.
    Scrape back the bubbles, sand smooth/prime/fill as necessary and recoat. Don't expect it to stop, it may well spread to other areas

Not sure what you mean here...
    when other parts of
    the same area were plastered some of the plaster fell
    while it was being applied and took a thick layer of
    paint with it, hope this helps.
    sounds like there wasn't a lot of prep done before plastering...that the plaster/ paint was live...but I may be misunderstanding you.
    Cait

6. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Another question, what is on the ceiling under the stuff that has come off?
    How old is the building in general? Has there been any history of anything leaking over this area? Burst pipes, plumbing work?
    Any of this stuff could cause your problem, looks like there is not sufficiant prep done before plastering.
    Nothing new here!

7. russ295

russ295 New Member

thanks again.
    under the paint is the new plaster, it was built in 1830 ish, no leaks in the last 5 years and no evidence of one previous.

when it was plastered, as the plaster was drying it bulged and basically fell from the ceiling taking the existing paint with it, forgot to mention aswell, when parts of the ceiling were painted with the emulsion, that lifted the existing aswell and had to be scraped back.

cheers

russ

8. Welsh Decorator 42

Plaster is at fault! not enough prep work, nothing to do with the paint.
    You might? only just might, get away with an oil based plaster primer as a first coat, this should isolate all under it and leave you with a sealed surface.

9. russ295

russ295 New Member

thanks mate,
    will the likes of b n poo do this or a more specalist outlet.

russ

10. Welsh Decorator 42

The wherehouse ones might? otherwise any good! trade outlet.

11. russ295

russ295 New Member

cheers again

will give it a try

russ

12. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Zinsser's Peel Stop is an interesting one too...I have only recently started using it so can't give you long term reviews. Check it on their website.

13. Petermitchell

Petermitchell New Member

I have just emulsioned my walls and it's blistering all over the place! I've put emulsion over emulsion so what's causing it? It's not new or damp plaster! It was last decorated 5 years ago and it didn't blister then! I thought it might be coz I've put matt over silk but when I put silk over matt it did the same blisters all over? Anyone got any idea?

14. Petermitchell

Petermitchell New Member

Could it be old paint? It's the same paint I used 5 years ago!

15. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Maybe