Bloody worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Workhorse, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Workhorse

Workhorse New Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    I'm having a bit of a mare with worktop edgings.

Firstly they're not the standard 0.25mm laminate edgings that you just impact adhesive on and nearly trim and file.

The problem is they are a thick plastic, probably 2mm thick and they are concave slightly, probably from how they have been stored etc. But this means that when you try to stick them the pressure of the concave just lifts it off the worktop (down the center) , even leaving it overnight with weight on it.

The next issue is you cannot use standard Evo Stick impact adhesive because the solvent literally eats at the pattern and removes it from the edging ( the pattern is on the inside of the edging for some reason.

So issues are, I'm having difficulty cutting and trimming it Because it's too thick.

And I can't even stick it to the worktop the usual way

I'm going to get some unika tape and try that but I think I need to heat the edging up and remove the concave first.

Any suggestions?
    Anyone seen this issue before?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You might find wrapping round in a circle inside-out for a while takes the concave out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I've just googled "dollken" and found their website here,, http://www.doellken-woodtape.com/ Looking through some of the downloads, it seems it may well be meant for an edge banding machine, using hot melt glue.. Might be do-able using a hot melt glue gun and someone to assist you whilst clamping the edge banding to the worktop. Might also be an idea to contact Dollken and ask their advice. ;);)

4. Workhorse

Workhorse New Member

Thank you both for your replies.
    I too have just seen their website about the application with hot glue and the edge banding machine.
    Wish I was alerted to this before it was purchased! Going to have to heat it up and try to remove the concave then I might stand half a chance.

Maybe to some sash clamps and a straight edge would help to secure it with mitre fast or tape?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have had similar problems with ABS edging too. Unika edging tape doesnt work great with it so I wouldnt go that route. I would be inclined to try Titebond Melamine glue to bond it, on a bit of scrap first

To take the concave out I would clamp it with sash clamps and use a narrow strip of scrap to concentrate the pressure on the middle of the edging.

I would also try to trim the edging as much as possible prior to applying and then tidy with a stanley blade.