Boarding over celotex

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by castlewallsPK, May 30, 2016.

1. castlewallsPK

castlewallsPK New Member

Hello,

I have just finished fitting 50mm celotex between the inside frame of my Wooden Workshop walls.
    The Workshop is constructed using ship lap with a weatherproof breathable membrane on the inside.
    I have fitted the celotex between the frame uprights with an air gap of 15mm between the membrane and the celotex.
    I now want to board the walls over. Do I need to put a vapour control membrane between the celotex and the boarding ?
    Thanks very much for any guidance.

Regards
    Phil.

2. Wychwooder

Wychwooder New Member

Hi,

Not sure quite what your wall build up is here, but starting from the outside the recommendation is:
    • the outer sheathing/cladding (in this case shiplap)
    • a support system for the shiplap - usually 2 x 1 treated batten, this creates an air gap between the cladding (shiplap) and the underlying structure, allowing the cladding to easily dry out
    • breather membrane
    • timber studwork with insulation in between (no air gap needed here, but won't harm)
    • vapour control membrane, tape all joints
    • interior cladding (i.e. OSB, ply or plasterboard, or whatever your project demands, but beware building regs for combustible materials)
    However if your workshop is not a residential space then you may not need to follow this exact spec, and there are other variations. I did something similar for our kitchen extension recently and added a fibreboard on the outside of the studwork for extra insulation, it was a tongue and groove structure and about 40 mm thick, but it makes a big difference to the insulation levels.

The other factor is, if you are creating an airtight wall with a vapour control membrane on the inside, you need to provide alternative means of ventilation to allow moisture to escape and air to circulate, thus losing heat in other ways, I don't now if the building regs have ever quite solved this paradox!

Hope this of some help.

3. castlewallsPK

castlewallsPK New Member

Hello Wychwooder,
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply.
    My Workshop, which is standalone in the garden, is not for residential use as it is used for woodworking projects and also the rebuilding of my motorcycle.
    The Framework of my workshop is made of 75mm x50mm stud work with the breathable membrane fitted between the stud work and the shiplap.
    So I have used 50 mm celotex between the framework stud work, with the air gap between the celotex and the membrane. The celotex is then flush with the stud work.
    I have taped all the gaps between the celotex and the stud work.

So from what you say I gather I do need to staple a Vapour Control membrane over the entire framework inside and then cover this with ply.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Phil.

4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

From
    inside out: insulated plaster board with integral VCL (or plasterboard, Foil faced insulation, AVCL ALL fixed back to frame), Foil faced boards between frame - full depth or less, building wrap membrane for timber frame construction eg Kingspan Nilvent stapled to outer face of frame. Fit treated Battens and then fix your outer skin. All a low level space for air to go in (install insect mesh too) and do same at top.

This will keep the heat in and deal with letting condensation out.

castlewallsPK likes this.
  5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

In fact I would fit a sheet of 18mm OSB class 3 to external frame prior to fitting the nilvent but you technically could omit it

6. Wychwooder

Wychwooder New Member

I don't think the Vapour control membrane is necessary, this is not a kitchen or bathroom generating lots of moisture, just a workshop, you have already done more than most sheds get with the insulation and breather membrane, so if you want to just line with plywood to create nice clean interior that should be fine, lets the building breath, and in my experience most failures of timber structures are due to trapped moisture.

A 12 mm nice birch faced ply would make it look very smart, make sure you get something called WBP ply, go thicker if you can afford it and if you want to put lots of shelves and other fittings inside.

7. castlewallsPK

castlewallsPK New Member

Hi Wychwooder
    Sounds good to me.
    Thanks for your guidance.

Regards,
    Phil.

8. castlewallsPK

castlewallsPK New Member

Hi BMC2000
    Thanks very much for your guidence

Regards,
    Phil.

9. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Is the roof also insulated? The point of vapour control is to stop interstitial condensation i.e. condensation within the structure. This is very important in timber from structures as condensation within the structure can lead to dry rot.

If you've insulated the roof and you are going to be heating the space then you really should have a fully sealed vapour control over the whole of the walls and ceiling.

10. castlewallsPK

castlewallsPK New Member

Hi benben5555

Once I have the walls done then the roof is next on the list.
    Its unlikely I will be heating the workshop, unless it gets real cold and I'm out there for any real length of time.

Regards,
    Phil.

11. benben5555

benben5555 Member

If you aren't heating the workshop then why bother with insulation? Without heating it will just be the same temperature as the outside!

BMC2000 likes this.
  12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Agreed with Ben.

If heated you need a vapour control layer to walls and within warm roof package.