Boiler fitted by unregistered guy. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Lahey, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey New Member

Hello

I recently had someone fit a boiler who was once registered but no longer is a plumber so his registration had expired and he hadn't renewed it. He'd done previous work over the years

He said he'd be able to have it 'checked and signed off' but this hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening now.

What are my options here?

I don't want an illegally fitted boiler. Despite that it's most probably fine and won't have any problems.
    Is there a way of having someone check it and sign it off or do I need to have it unfitted and refitted by some registered? If so, who do I contact?

It'll mean paying for the job twice but I didn't expect this to happen.
    I'm guessing I could be fined or something too.
    Bottom line is, I need the boiler legally fitted.

He'd fitted our last one a few years ago and it was signed off and all ok.
    But he's working away from home now and we won't be able to get it signed off.

Thanks

2. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Get a landlord's/Householder certificate. It will cost about £50. Then you are covered. Do not tell the man inspecting that an unregistered man fitted the boiler. Say you intend to sell so need the certificate if he asks. He should not as they are interested only getting the money for the check. And it is none of his business.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

The landlords cert will not help when you sell you need to get it properly certified, it will depend on the installer you contact whether he is willing to do this I'm afraid.

4. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey New Member

Who would be a typical installer? British Gas?

Cost wise what would I be looking at?
    For a whole re-fitting and checking?
    Or could I just get it checked?

There must be housesd with old boilers in with no paperwork etc / not registered, so what do new owners do in that situation?

5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

When selling a house, a Householder's certificate is accepted. I know from recent personal experience. Will you tell us all what this "properly certified" is? Is there a "properly certified" form to fill in?

6. meady

meady Member

The benchmark for the boiler needs to be filled out, otherwise the boiler warranty is void. Also if you get someone round just to give you a certificate they will see that this hasn't been filled in and start asking questions.

The boiler needs to be registered with gas safe which it won't be if you just get a certificate.

Looks like your going to need to spend some money to get someone in to check it all and commission it.

7. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey New Member

Thanks for the response. Ballpark figure for the checking and commissioning?

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I am out of touch with current charges, so will have to let one of the "new boys" advise on that, but in the case of old boilers people do not need any certificate although most byers solicitors will request confirmation it has been serviced or checked a landlords cert would be fine there.

As said the Benchmark cert should have been completed and any solicitor dealing with a boiler fitted in the last few years will almost certainly insist on it, just like for Fensa windows and certs new electrical installations.

I would speak to your Mr Gas and say well I either have to tell the regulators it was fixed by an unregistered fitter "you" or I need you to arrange for this registered mate of yours to sort it out.

9. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Fill in the benchmark yourself. Then send a copies of the benchmark and Householder's certificate to the makers and GasSafe. It is fitted properly, the Householder's certificate said so, being physically checked by testing and removing the boiler casing. The Householder noticed something was not right so put it right. No court in the land would go against him.

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Wow Walter, Have you now got a crystal ball? (or was it you who fitted the boiler) ?? :p:p:p:p:p:p

11. Mr Lahey.

Are you giving us the full info here? Are you saying you used this guy in good faith and expected him to complete everything and have the boiler certified as it should be? And you have a receipt or proof of the work done by this plumber?

If so, then what I suggest you could do is write to this plumber giving him one week to sort it all out. (Since he won't, himself, be sorting it out, then all he has to do is contact his GasSafe mate to do so.)

So, if you did everything legit and above board, then you need to hold this git to account. And you do that with this letter, and it also explains that if he doesn't, you'll get someone else to do it instead and sue him for the cost of this.

Use moneyclaim.gov. And you will almost certainly win. And you can then make him pay up if he gets stubborn by using 'thesheriffsoffice'.

IF, however, you kinda knew this wasn't quite above board, and you paid the guy in cash with no receipt, and you sort of knew it wasn't ideal but you still went with it 'cos you were saving a few £undred, then you'll have to do something else...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    teabreak likes this.
  12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

He could get a Householders certificate. Then say he did it himself. It is legal to DIY gas as long as the job is done competently. It was done competently as the Householders certificate states. Then fill in the benchmark etc. All legal. The makers has to honour the guarantee.

13. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

This man is a lunatic. Sad but true.

caveman bulider likes this.
  14. meady

meady Member

How was it done competently if the bloke who fitted it isn't registerd to work on gas.

15. I did mine - competently - and I'm not registered to work on gas...

Legally.

(Really, it was competent... :rolleyes: )

Walt Systems likes this.
  16. No he isn't.

Happy and barlocks.

17. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Oh dear we have an OP who has a big issue by using an unregistered installer, then we have a total ******** advising he fill in the benchmark himself to send to gas safe, sorry but where will it all end. First and formost Mr Layhey you should inform gas safe who will come and check this illegal work at no cost to you. They will want information about the installer who has quite likely put you and your familys lives at risk all for a few quid. Once they have done their bit you will be able to register your warranty and you will get your certificate of compliance. There is no other legal route despite what other have said on here.

teabreak likes this.
  18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I doubt gassafe will come out at no cost, gassafe are money grabbing middle management pen pushers who will come out only if a riddor is reported and there's money to be claimed via comp/insurance, gasafe have no authority to prosecute but can provide HSE with the evidence to prosecute,
    there's a lot of people here making rules up (scaremongery),
    look at your boiler manual, ther's 2 ways to get it registered with BCO, (which is what you need for a sale)
    1. the installer does it
    2. ask the bco to send out an inspector, at a cost of (it used to be £80)

19. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

I wrote..."It is legal to DIY gas as long as the job is done competently".

That is easy to understand.

20. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Gassafe would claim competency can only be shown by qualification,, and registration with Gassafe. If the installer isn't registered with Gassafe, who are we to argue that the installation is "competent." Having said that, BG installers, themselves can work without being GS registered. (in fact BG dissuade their employees from registering in their own right as it's the company British Gas who are GS registered) Therefore it follows that using BG to install a boiler means it's probably going to be installed by someone unregistered personally with GS..... I wonder if someone from Gassafe would care to comment on this ?

The electrical industry is no better. I know of many large electrical contractors who all claim to be Niceic registered, when in fact, there's only one or two persons within the company who are Niceic registered.:eek:

It's all a play on words.. The company advertised that they are GS registered, or Niceic registered... Yeah,,,,,, the company are registered,,,,,,,,,,,, sadly not all of the employees are . Simples. ;););)

(at the end of the day, if the OP's boiler is working then Walt thinks it's been installed competently)

Breaking News,, family of five poisoned by CO fumes from incorrectly installed boiler,,,, Have we heard something like this in the news? ( I bet we have) ;);)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014