Boiler Installation Paperwork

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DavidC, Aug 1, 2016.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Hi
    I am confused over a Building Control Compliance Certificate.

I have just had a Worcester Bosch boiler installed and the bottom of the Gas Boiler System Commissioning Checklist on the back page states that

"All installations in England and Wales must be notified to Local Authority Building Control (LABC) either directly or through a Competent Persons Scheme. A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate will then be issued to the customer"

The installer, a local independent, says there is no need to inform LABC as he has given me a Gas Safety Certificate. The LABC did not really help and put me through to grants applications who could not help.

Could someone please tell me if I need a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and who/how will it be issued?

2. 'Gas Safety Cert'? Is that all he's given you? Do you have the 'Benchmark' checklist doc?

Was it installed by an approved WB GasSafe cove? If so, I understand it should have at least a 5-year warranty. Does yours?

I personally wouldn't worry about the LABC compliance - provided everything else I've said above has happened.

As I understand it, LABC compliance is to ensure that it's a modern 'condensing' boiler, and has been installed by a GasSafe person. I'd imagine there isn't an issue provided it was installed by a 'GasSafe' cove, and you have been left with your completed and registered guarantee form and Benchmark cert.

3. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Hi DA
    It was not an approved WB chap but he was Gas Safe. He left me with the Gas safety cert, the benchmark Gas Boiler System Commissioning Checklist and the WB guarantee forms. It is on the benchmark Gas Boiler System Commissioning Checklist that says about the Compliance Certificate.

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Your installer will inform the gas safe register who intern will inform your local building control on your behalf.

A BUILDING REGULATIONS COMPLIANCE certificate will then follow (posted to your home address).

This is how it all works.

Tappy,

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Many installers prefer to not notify building control through Gas Safe. The tax man has free access to this register...

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

What is your evidence for this?

7. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0f98bbc0-2db6-11e2-9988-00144feabdc0.html#axzz4GBl0TMrf
    "Plumbers and heating engineers have also been targeted, after HMRC obtained information from the Gas Safe register. This trawl resulted in five arrests."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmcomloc/1851/1851we06.htm
    "Complaints received from consumers around non-notification prove that businesses are “selective” in work chosen for notification; this could be for tax evasion reasons regarding the HMRC."

sam spade likes this.
  8. Crowsfoot

Isn't this what the whole gas safe registration scheme is really all about (stopping gas fitters making a little bit of extra cash on the side) ?!!

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Surely it's more about trying to ensure gas appliances are installed safely.

10. Crowsfoot

Depends on your gullibility and how much you trust the government I suppose.

We all managed to be safe with gas for well over 50 years before gas safe (without a registration scheme). Corgi was optional, not compulsory for many years; take it from me it's all about the £££££££££££.

11. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Whilst Crapita get rich doing so!