Boiler Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by STUMP162001, Nov 24, 2015.

1. STUMP162001

STUMP162001 New Member

Hi, I'm having issues with my boiler making a buzzing sound whenever it is on, it also cuts out randomly and comes back on. could having a rad removed from the sealed system cause this issue due to the loop not being fulfilled or is it more likely the fact the boilers knackered?? Thanks for any advice

2. Name, rank and number of the boiler, and which rad was removed? How many rads are left?

3. STUMP162001

STUMP162001 New Member

It's a glowworm compact, that's all the info I can see on it. Downstairs hall was removed we still have 7 left

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Sounds like the boilers overheating
    Could be that you don't have a correct flow as usually the downstairs hall is where the thermostat is and that rad is used as a "heat soak" aka rad with 2 lockshields that are fully open and that rad takes all the flow if the TRV's on the other radiators close, so if that's been removed and at least 1 other rad hasn't been made to be the heat soak that could be your problem. But without seeing the system and controls it's hard to tell as for the boiler it's probably ok but sounds like you need a gas safe registered heating engineer to look at the system as a whole

5. That boiler doesn't have a CH temp control that you could try turning down, does it?

It looks similar to the GlowWorm 'Swiftflow' 80e - how old is your boiler?

My in-laws have a 12+ year old Swiftflow 80e that developed a whirring/thrumming obviously-mechanical noise a few months back which turned out to be the flue fan's bearings. The boiler would shut down on occasion too - I think it may have 'locked-out' and required resetting.

Bought a recon fan unit on t'Bay for £50 which was immaculately renovated, and replaced it. Jobbie jobbed.

Not that you should do this, of course...

Is it a 'mechanical' sound, or more like a boiling water kettling sound?

6. STUMP162001

STUMP162001 New Member

With DNR saying it was overheating I have re balanced the system and that seems to have made the electrical shorting noise disappear, thanks for your help.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  7. DNR Plumbing

No problem it often sorts minor problems
    Most people have their boiler serviced but forget the rest of the system

8. "electrical shorting noise"?

Like sparking? Or like a rapidly vibrating/switching relay?

9. DNR Plumbing

Slight kettleing I would guess