Boiler Tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hadventure, Nov 19, 2012.

1. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

2. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

did it work

3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Only concentric flues need a fall back to boiler

4. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

5. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

It gets better my Main HE boiler not combi with the above intermittent problem tripped the house out yesterday. but the boiler itself was not on just power to it. i could only restore power to the house when i switched off the power via the switch on the wall dedicated to the boiler. I have tried about 10 times now and every time I turn the switch on the wall on it trips the whole house. the boiler itself was not switched on at all. It trips out within a milisecond of turning on the switch not after a couple of seconds. No water or heat for 20 hrs or more now. have phoned Main and they will only let an engineer talk to a Gas Safe engineer. My gas safe engineer is visiting on monday to fit new programmer so hopefully he can talk to Main engineer on the helpline and try and sort it.

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Turn off power!
    Have a visual at the PCB front & back, faults are normally obvious,
    Link out the room stat at boiler,
    Check the fast blow fuse on the board, spares are normally provided inside PCB casing, put back together & try power again, change fuse in spur 3 amp, other than that it needs internal boiler diagnostics

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Just looked back and your a sparky!
    Sorry to state the obvious previously didn't know!!!!
    rewire flex from spur to boiler, link out stat, put boiler in idle, turn power on? ive seen flow switches & hall sensors etc that have been leaked on and trip, the boiler flue having a fall outwards is bull unless it's not condensing, did you say house is tripping when spur to boiler is off? Are you sure there's not a load issue in garage ring?

8. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

hi i am not an electrician. don't know how the message about the British Gas guy message got onto my message. I am just an ordinary householder (woman). This has been going on now for a couple of years on and off (excuse the pun). An electrician friend changed the switch yesterday and said it is not the electrics but the boiler. I think (in my non technical brain) that is something to do with the plume that was installed to clear the conservatory as the original extractor was within 300cm so the plume was installed to clear the conservatory to comply with regs. I think that in certain conditions ie when the temperature is not too low and the air is full of moisture (not necessarily raining) that condensation forms in the extension tube and runs back into the boiler and causes this fault. When the sun comes out and/or it is windy and the condensation dries out I can turn it on again. This could be completely wrong but I have this gut feeling. It is the first time it has happened when the boiler was off. Usually it happens if the boiler has been left on for quite a while either just water or both water and heating which I suppose blows my theory of condensation forming as it would be too hot to form. It must be sorted as we are going to rent out the house so hopefully when my gas engineer comes on monday to put a new programmer in he can have a conversation with a Main guy who has come across this problem and can be sorted fingers crossed.

9. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

HI G&W Plumbing.
    My boiler is a condensing boiler Main HE. The most irritating thing about all this is that it only happens now and again maybe twice a year in the winter and usually if it has been left on for a couple or hrs which I do not usually do. The longest it has been off for is 3 days one xmas. I wonder if there is a reset button on the boiler somewhere. I am clueless as just an ordinary person.

10. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

Did the repair work and have you got the number of the gas engineer

11. yoyopickle

yoyopickle New Member

update my boiler (not electrician just woman householder). Hope this is not embedded in anyone else's message. The switch on the wall and the programmer were changed. The electrician said it was the boiler and the boilerman said it was the electrics, neither of whom had diagnostic equipment to back this up. The battery to the old electronic programmer looked as if it was leaking onto the circuit board so we thought we had found cause of problem. Within a day of the new more manual programmer being installed the whole house tripped again and approx 7 hrs before boiler worked. This time however we could turn on the switch on the wall that gives electricity to the boiler and the programmer but the minute we turned the programmer on it tripped the house. There is a dedicated circuit just for the boiler. After as I said 7 hrs all was well and it has been fine since (getting on for a month now) but we have hardly had the boiler on as weather is pretty good. So don't know if it is fixed or not yet. It usually only happens in the winter anyway. So frustrating. Not heard from the guy that the British Gas man was going to fix. Hoped the british gas guy had fixed it.

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

fingers crossed for you yoyopickle