Boiler's condensing pipe outlet - what can I do to 'tidy'?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the fuel type will have an affect on the chemical make-up up of the condensate, I don't know if it was a gas/oil/wood/etc/etc fired boiler

hence why I posted ........ ''admittedly I'm not aware of the fuel type used''

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there probably is a bit of bottom covering going on, but if as has been implied the condensate is harmless and could just be allowed to drip away - that would be quite a USP for any manufacturer - it would save the hassle of managing it away, so why do all boiler makers insist on it being managed rather than just allowed to drip to earth ?

3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Sean - can't be bothered to work through all the stuff on effect of acid rain on buildings but would be interested to see your proof from first principles chemistry that there is as per mine re the condensate. I'm not disagreeing there may be by the way, would purely like to see the scientific proof. It's clearly good practice to ensure the effects of condensate, however innocuous and insignificant they may be, are minimised hence disposal to drain or below soil level but I really can't get too excited about any danger or long term effects. As you say, some umbrellas going up by the manufacturers, I saw a sign the other day against a hand rail by some stairs saying you use the hand rail at your own risk. What is this country coming to.

By the way I have prob learnt more from Tom and his practical tips than any other poster on any forum, shame there are not more like him and you prepared to share knowledge and experience with others, thanks Tom.

plumberboy likes this.
  4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

well you've got zero chance of me proving the affects of acid rain, chemistry stopped at A level, but I have a rather full portfolio of real world restorative projects that were, to some degree or other, required due to some form of attack other than the elements

I don't disagree, I would like to see a brave heating engineer present your workings as his reasoning why he'd not followed the MI :)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're welcome ramseyman and thanks for taking the time to say so, ;)

6. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Sean we'll have to agree to disagree, you have your views installers have theirs.;)

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

reminds me of a song that PB, buddy hollys that'll be the day, :eek:

8. plumberboy

Ha Ha that's one for the greenhouse Tom.;)

9. OOooooooookaaaaaaaayyyyyy... :)

Finally bothered ma botty to open up the installation booklet for ma Glowie CXi.

6 options shown for draining t'condensate.

One of these is "External Soil and Vent Pipe or Rainwater Pipe"

Another is "External Termination to a Gulley or Hopper" - nothing specified that it had to be sewage and not rainwater.

And then there's "External Termination into Soakaway". This last option suggests a sunken 300mm length of 100mm dia plastic pipe with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Now't inside filling it - no chips. Also, although the diagram shows the supply pipe extending away from the house wall, there is no suggestion of actual distance, so I'm guessing it is just to avoid 'hitting' the founds.

Conclusions? Either (a) what I've done is ok and my house ain't gonna fall down, or (b) they've since worked out that condensate is nastier stuff than previously thought.

Further conclusions? (a) Mr Plum is a cracking cove who has far too many years of experience under his tight belt and is a mine of information borne of practical experience, and (b) Sean is also a cracking cove with, I reckon, more technical knowledge and possibly practical experience too in a wider range of competences, and is most definitely not a troll of any description whatsoever, and I will grow 'a pair' and have words with anyone who suggests otherwise. Except Mr Plum 'cos he looks quite stocky.

And there endeth the lesson.

10. Oh yeah - STEVE! STEVE!!!

Stick the condensate pipe into your gutter downpipe if you want. Your (son's?) house will not fall down and I doubt very very very much anyone will tackle you on this from a regulation point of view either. Run the pipe at a 2.5o slope. And make sure it's insulated.

But don't come crying to me if... :rolleyes:

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Mr Devs thanks for the accolades, I go with your theory B, I remember quite plainly my gassafe inspector saying to me when condesating boilers first came mandotary first option is the soil pipe, second option is the rainwater and third is the soak away, no mention at all about burning though foundations,rotting , he did mention though to use plastic pipe as its we're not allowed to use copper pipe, I thought that was strange as there are some old waste pipes that are copper and you are allowed to put the condensate into these as long as you use plastic to go into them, So as things evolve we need wise men to guide us, what worries me is, who picks the wise men :eek:

12. plumberboy

The man that picks the wise man is a man that can work out the square route of an egg but can't cook it Tom.;)

13. proby

proby Active Member

But eggs have to be cooked properly to be safe to eat, I'm sure someone will be along soon having done a search on it.:rolleyes:

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

only when you have combined drainage :rolleyes: have a read of the newest version of your manual or BS5546 or BS6798 which will probably be mentioned - if you've got a few minutes scan through this echo of this thread, I'll leave it to you to gauge what the general agreement is regarding regulations and what will and won't pass inspection these days - nice to see at least some of the plumbers over there are aware of the current regs

also note what paragraph 1 says with regards to the use of foul drains in the pdf linked on this document

combined drains aren't the ''norm'' - they might well be in a small northern town where the housing stock is of some age, it's more related to the age of the property and you certainly can't generalise and assume you can simply connect the the nearest drain of any description - if your property was built before the 60s then you might well have combo drains, but after that then you are very likely to have separate foul and storm/runoff drains

15. Yep - as much confusion in that thread as ours, Sean - and I only got as far as page 1. Some thoughts that 'no' for rainwater was just down to possible back-flow due to freezing.

Ok, I will totally accept wot current recommendations and regs state; combined waste or sewer or limestone-filled soakaway.

My own setup is into a downpipe gulley but it supplies a combined waste - late-3o's build.

Steve can hopefully make this call himself based on all this; is the gulley and underground pipe wot is fed by his son's downpipe made of plastic? If so, I know what I would do in his case in a heartbeat.

Yep - I totally accept what you say, and one needs to write regulations to meet the worst-case scenarios. That dramatic photo of an eroded floor - who's to say that the mix in that floor isn't stoopidly weak or laid with old cement or was frost-damaged or wahtevs?

But, I agree - if there is any likelihood of condensate getting into contact with concrete/brick/mortar/etc then alternative disposal methods must be sought.

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

MI need to be more specific, a few general measures (which folks read at face valve) and a passing reference to the relevant standard (which should be followed to the letter) but which is apparently being ignored - I can see why there is so much confusion

17. Hey, I followed my boiler's instructions to the 'T'...

By pure chance :rolleyes:

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I would ask for nothing more, and expect nothing less :)

19. Why, thank y... wait a minute... :oops:

20. Biochef

Biochef Member

I've seen whole estates done by the council ( I know council workers are useless ) but they must have been overseen by someone , right ?
    Anyhow every one in a street where I was wiring a new cu the boiler was in an upstairs cupboard and drip pipe was run into rainwater down pipe I noticed this only because some had their insulation hanging off and some were banana shaped