Bonding on artex

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by kevino, Jul 10, 2017.

1. kevino

kevino Member

I've gone over with bonding an stipple artex ceiling that's been covered in blue grit, it was not scraped because didn't want to risk asbestos poisoning.
    The thing is it was getting on a bit and didn't fancy a couple of coats of multi so decided to do it tomorrow.

Do I wet it down or pva before? If pva, do I need two coats and allow the first to dry?
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No need for pva, once bluegrit is dry, then straight on with the multifinish.

3. kevino

kevino Member

sorry Kiab I didn't explain very well, I blue gritted and then bonded yesterday, today before skimming do I need to pva twice or spray with water?
    Thanks

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't think so, there is just no need to pva blue grit, but I have never plastered on blue grit that's had pva applied, so can't offer any other advice.

5. kevino

kevino Member

Hi, I put thistle bonding on yesterday, this morning it is dry, do I need to pva twice before skimming or just spray with water?
    Thanks

6. How thick is the bonding coat?

And it's fully dry?

Ok, this is my understanding...

A normal thickness bonding coat - around 10mm thick? - if allowed to dry will almost certainly cause issues due to high suction when you come to skim. Ergo, the skim should ideally be applied before the bonding has dried oot.

If it's dried out, then you have two options - spray-dampen the bonding or else PVA it.

I can see that dampening could be tricky as you'd need to get it even, or else you can imagine the problems as some skim patches suck and dry out before others - could be a 'mare to finish nicely.

So, I suspect that in your case a diluted PVA coat would be the way to go.

However, if you only have a thinnish bonding coat, then the suction might not be that bad, and you might be ok with a gentle spray of water over it. But the only way to know - afaIk - is to try a test skim and see.

There, that didn't help, did it... :oops:

kevino likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Misread reply, :oops: will definitely need to be spray-dampen, but I would use pva diluted 4-5 to 1 before another coat as it's dried out.

And you would normally apply Multifinish as soon as the Bonding has set.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    kevino likes this.
  8. kevino

kevino Member

Thanks Devil's advocate and Kiab, the bonding coat is fully dry, I put it on around thee pm yesterday and I admit I was lazy(tired) so didn't want to wait long for it to be skim ready.

The bonding is over non scraped stipple artex so is about 6mm deep.

I literally just sprayed it with water , but like you said devil's advocate it's hard to do evenly so will pva it too and spray again

Thanks for your expert advice

9. (Psst - he said 'expert'! Tee-hee...)

10. I would either dilute-PVA it or else spray it - not both. I would only apply the thinned PVA to dry bonding or else it won't soak in and adhere properly.

Some plasterers also say to apply a second - neat - coat of PVA after the first thinned coat has dried, so it might be worth a search on 'PVA before skimming' or similar - 'cos I am not an expert... :oops:

11. kevino

kevino Member

Thanks , I've done it now and I'm quite happy with the finish... but I had to go like the clappers because it was sucking it up so quick.

Lesson learnt: do it the same day next time!!

Attached Files:

12. Blimey, the skim is fully dry too!

Well done for managing this - I bet you sweated :)

kevino and KIAB like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-7-11_11-30-50.gif

kevino likes this.
  14. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

Carlite finish plaster is what you should use on bonding coat, multifinish is ok for small areas/patching, but it's better to skim the same day, as soon as the bonding has set.

15. kevino

kevino Member

Thanks, I have more artex ceilings to do so will look into that

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Carlite finish plaster:eek: thought it was only availle in Ireland, prefer my multi easier to finish.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A scoop or two of bonding in your multi on the first coat works wonders and gives you a bit more 'open' time :)

18. kevino

kevino Member

Thanks,definitely going to try that