Bosses

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mrppp, Jul 19, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I always seem to get a small leak/weep from the Floplast solvent bosses, someone mentioned using POLYPIPE GAP FILLING CEMENT (GFC100). Do i use this instead of the normal Floplast solvent cement

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best plan is to cut in a new fitting.:)

You sure it's not the rubber seal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

No seaps from where boss meets soil pipe, even though i used a good amount of solvent, always seem to get it from these fittings.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is it a strap on boss you used, never had a problem with them leaking,prefer the one with nut & bolt fixing, more secure, some peeps cut the hole diameter too large.

Post a photo.:)

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Yeah strap on, I even went to the lengths of finding and buying a 54mm holesaw.. for now added some solvent to where t seeped around boss appears to have stopped it.( looks tad messy though and I like things neat... OCD) But got loads more to do so want to get them right first time... here is hoping, maybe do a test one with POLYPIPE GAP FILLING CEMENT (GFC100)

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Yes use the gap filler cement on strap/pipe fittings,ensure the pipe & strap glueing areas are 100% clean use solvent cleaner if in doubt.

A smear of gap filler on the pipe & strap contact area will ensure a 100% seal first time,use a rag with solvent to gently wipe off excess gap filler as soon as the strap is secured no longer than 5 seconds or it will set.
    Leave the joint set for 10 minutes before connecting any pipes.Have a look inside the strap boss and if any excessive gap filler has dripped inside the fitting,poke it out.

TT

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I hate bosses although my current one is a rather nice chap :p

CGN and KIAB like this.
  8. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Well did another, loaded it with solvent and pinched it up tight with adjustable spanner, appears to be leak free

9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Might have one coming up so what would you guys use on a cast iron stack?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best option replace the stack with plastic, second option cut out small secton of cast iron fit plastic pipe for the strap on connection & use flex seal couplings to join from CI to plastic.

11. Have a look for Timesaver strap on boss,it will depend on the diameter of your stack if it will fit.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forgot them,long time since I dabbled with CI.:oops:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjf-fLSzpjVAhVhKsAKHVFyAY0QFggyMAE&url=http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/sites/pamline_uk/files/timesaver_brochure_august_20151.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEJ1wlTP-uwzjxgBVkTbn5gLWsTIw&cad=rja

But, the cost of CI strap on bosses are enough to give you a heart attack, not a viable option in my opinion.

http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/sites/pamline_uk/files/gt133-strap-on-boss-datasheet-rev-1-pdf.pdf

13. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I had Cast Iron, removed it and replaced with plastic.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That the best idea, price of cast iron fittings is shocking.