Botched Garage Conversion

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Shayna, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Shayna

Shayna New Member

Hi,

I am currently in the process of having our single integral garage converted into a bedroom. The conversion is almost complete but we are not happy with the results. The work was started Monday 24th July. We had been communicating with the foreman for a couple of weeks, about what we wanted done and decided on a price for the whole job (£6700). Until Monday afternoon we were havingthe garage door bricked up, but then he came to the house to say he can't find matching bricks, so he'll have to use rendering instead. We insisted that we were not happy with that, and found bricks online that were a close match, the guy just said that those were !!!!.

Jumping ahead to Wednesday when the builders had finished for the day, we noticed the space for the window was too big, and the right side reaches the wall. The other windows on our house have three panels, the foreman couldn't find a matching window so had one made... but its not the same design as the others, this has four smaller panels that look stupid. And the window is too big for the room, it's common sense that a room that small shouldn't have a huge window like that. The finished window looks ridiculously stupid and the rendering looks terrible. We have relayed this information to the foreman (owner of he company), all he said was he had to do that and it's normal practice.

He is now saying that he'll complete the work next week. Then come back in a few weeks to redo it how we originally wanted it, but charge us £2000 more. Please I need advice on what to do and anyone's opinions on the conversion so far. Here are pictures of the window and rendering:

https://ibb.co/nrdhFQ
    https://ibb.co/eoyUUk

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you want the windows to be all of the same appearance you should ask for a balanced look, that would give the windows an all the same look so the ones that open look the same as the fixed non opening windows. The rendered wall looks fine and will look better when finished and painted, also I would think your builder was restricted by the exterior balance of the original garage door opening with regard to the window looking offset.......to be honest it looks a nice job! :)

leesparkykent likes this.
  3. It's a toughie, but the bottom line is that the builder should have done what he was asked to.

First things first - in order to narrow that window down to a 3-sectioner to look balanced on the inside, he'd have had to 'key' in an extra column of bricks down that side. That is doable, but tricky to match perfectly - it would certainly require exactly similar bricks - but that would then leave the contrasting-colour brick 'lintel' above it too long, I think, so that would need changing to the 'wall' colour bricks too - getting complex.

If the actual window 'style' doesn't match the ones in the rest of the house, then that's poor - he should have had an exact match made up. But if it's the fact it's 4 sections that annoys you, then I would suggest that 3 sections in that width would look even more wrong - each would be too wide.

I agree with Astra that it looks a decent job, although having the window going tight against the inside wall never looks totally right - it kind of suggest a room that's had an extra internal wall put in to divide it into two.

But, even tho' it looks a decent job, what's important is whether it's what you asked for and made clear you wanted.

What discussions were done - any sketches, written descriptions?

The job they've done is a simpler, quicker, job than having to use bricks which would need keying in, so - if anything - they should be charging you less than the original quote.

BUT, what was 'agreed'? I fear it was left pretty vague...? :(

4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If it isn't written down, dimensioned, material specified, details drawn then you are likely to get problems.

His idea of OK and yours will typically always differ, so nail down what you want and if you don't get what you described and what he quoted for, demand it. Otherwise...

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To be perfectly honest I really don't see what the issues are. It looks a clean, tidy, good job. The rendering is clearly unfinished, being a scratch coat currently on the wall, it's also common practice to render when unable to match the bricks, to me I think it's a better job, as even if you match the bricks perfectly you can always tell it's been toothed out and is an addition. The window fits the original openings width, the soldier course and band course of bricks look neat, all inside looks ready for paint and they've done this within 5 days so they clearly are quite quick and appear efficient.

Can't see the problem myself.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Looks lovely, I like it.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks well balanced from the exterior. :rolleyes:

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't like the view out of the window though! :p

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'Brookside'. ;)

leesparkykent likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

"Skipside" more likely!

11. It would have looked better if the mortar used for the brickwork was all the same colour and all the cement stains were cleaned off.