Brick work

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ronald1984, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Ronald1984

Ronald1984 New Member

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

lovely :)

is that the DPC peeking out ?

[​IMG]

3. Ronald1984

Ronald1984 New Member

Not familiar with DPC (Director of Public Prosecutions? :))

How likely is that brick work to fail and how soon?

Thanks in advance.

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I can't answer the second question with any accuracy but you might be needing to contact your guess at what DPC stands for if the rest of the building is to the same standard

DPC = damp proof course

I don't suppose there's a concrete slab floor on the other side of that wall, that was laid before the wall was built ?

5. Ronald1984

Ronald1984 New Member

Thanks. I'm a Brit in the USA (I think this is a UK forum?) and I'm trying to work out how my neighbours have b@llsed this up so badly.

I'm no bricky but even I know that this is shocking workmanship.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

for a yank bricky that's really rather good

7. Ronald1984

Ronald1984 New Member

Back of the net!

They want almost $400K for the house.

Any good sites you could recommend for "horror stories" in brick work and what causes them/how they are fixed?

Thanks.

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no recommendations, other than a skim of render to hide it

9. Ronald1984

Ronald1984 New Member

Okay, thanks mate.

Enjoy your week.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

have a nice day :)

11. Ronald, the mortar itself seems to be ok - it isn't crumbling or anything. The workmanship, however, is, umm, not very good.

I suspect the sub-zero temps did have something to do with this - the 'brickie' was probably half-frozen solid, numb-fingered, thickly-gloved, eyes frozen shut and shivering to the point of having zero control over his limbs. And it's poor by even these standards.

Is that the only exposed brickwork on the house? Hopefully so. In which case render it as Sean says.

But, that DPM - is it coming from under the house or is it just weird weed-control for the gravel? If the former, then wait for rain to come down the walls and make its way into the house...

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:oops::oops::oops:, Who's been sneaking around taking pics of my jobs.:)

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you ask me it's been filled in with grey tile grout and randomly spread out with a cold, wet glove!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Biochef

Biochef Member

Call Holmes on homes he will take your house back to founds and rebuild for you and fling in a new kitchen for good measure:):);)