Brown lines from ceiling light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tomchipp, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tomchipp

tomchipp New Member

Hi all,I'm looking for some advice on a possible electrical fault. We are buying a house which was built in 2004 and have only just noticed a very worrying issue on the lounge ceiling.....there are two faint brown lines running parallel about two inches apart from the light fitting in the centre of the room to the interior wall at the far side of the room. The light works OK but I'm worried there could be an electrical fault. As this is a cash purchase we were not going to have a survey done, any advice would be appreciated.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,
    Try and upload a close-up photo of the ceiling and light fitting if you can.

3. Biochef

Biochef Member

Hi it sounds like it's water marks running along a joist they are 2 inches wide
    Light should be fine unless water is dripping from it
    But do try to investigate where water is coming from ;)

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

As Biochef says it seems to be a watery problem even when painted over they can reappear after the water problem is sorted :)

5. flateric

Time to get the damp meter out

6. flateric

I just pinched this tip from a site:

first things first, you need to insure that the leak has been fixed. then apply a primer/sealer to the area. you may have to use two or more coats. leave it dry good and if the stain did not bleed through, you could paint it without worrying about it. If the stain bleed through, re apply some more primer/sealer until it no longer bleeds through, then pain the area

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

get a survey done, unless you have a money tree currently bearing bountiful fruit

sounds like moisture, rusty conduit ? - house is rather new perhaps

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like a survey is shouting at you to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the things you can't see!!!!!!!!!

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

10. flateric

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could be as oil based undercoat will do the job just as well.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Forget all the oil based paints now Flat (largely) - just had excellent results with Bullseye 123 (next time I will try the 123 water based) and Sikkens Rubbol..no more smell, no more white gloss looking ok for a few months and then yellowing - no more washing out brushes with smelly horrible white spirit (meths for the 123, water for 123 water based) - just wash your brushes in fairy liquid with a bit of Jif and warm water - brilliant..and it all dries really fast. 2 unders/primes in 40 mins, and two tops in what 1hr on a six panel door (don't copy me though, because its not by the book, read the instructions)

flateric likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bullseye 123 is waterbased, you mean you've used BIN (shellac based)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

14. flateric

This is a good thread it started on the electrical, entered the plumbing stage went straight to painters and decorators lets keep it going and see how many trades we can include :D

Biochef likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Are you sure its not electricity tracking along the ceiling surface? :D

FatHands likes this.
  16. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

glad to see you are out of the dumps mate!

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you sure someone's not been playing Spideypig with the dog? Yuk!

(That got the vet trade in!)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

19. flateric

Yet another thread gone off on a wild tangent :) ........ But then again that's what keeps the place going a bit of humour here and there

I would rather have laugh than a cry :D