Brown water after tap fitted

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gavin Melling, May 7, 2017.

1. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

So I fitted an outside tap, using a 15mm pipe piercing kit, as per below. This was tapped directly into a downstairs bathroom cold water tap. The water was turned off at the main stop cock to do this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-tap-kit-15mm-x/33139

Since fitting we've experienced brown water coming out of the tap every few days, it only lasts a few seconds when the tap has been switched on. We thought it'd stop after a few days, but it hasn't and been a few weeks now. I've switched the extension "off" at the piercing tap to be sure and it still happens. We've also ran the tap for an hour as was advised, but no good.

None of the other taps do this. Any ideas how to stop this happening?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Iron pipes somewhere, it's deposits being flushed out after water has laid in pipe.

3. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

House is only 20 years old, still likely to have iron pipes? And either way how do we clear it?

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

hi Gavin,
    is the cold pipe in the bathroom ( that you cut into ) fed from a cold water storage tank in the loft ? and after you turned off the main stopcock ,was the tank then drained before you cut into the pipe in bathroom ?

5. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

Direct mains feed, no storage tanks at all.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so did you drain pipework before cu

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so did you drain pipework ? I assume you have a combo boiler, turn it off ,turn all taps on at the same time ,the mains water pressure should clear through after 20 mins or so. make sure no plugs left in sinks etc. regards Terry.

8. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

Well I drained the pipework as suggested, still ended up with brown water a couple of days later.

I decided to take the piercing tap connector off to diagnose and the piercing bit was really rusted with signs of corrosion, after 1 month of use! Replaced this with a push fit T connector and it's been fine since.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

glad you got sorted ,good on ya !!