Brushes

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Different Displays, May 19, 2017.

1. Different Displays

Different Displays New Member

I've been using T-class 'Definition' brushes for a good few years, always got on well with them, and they fit my hand nicely. Been a good boy and kept a set for oil-based and a set for water-based, in separate Trade 4+ boxes. Also got a set of natural bristle brushes for finishing oils and varnishes (woodworker, see).

Some of the T-class are starting to go, and never really been happy with the natural bristle brushes (they were an expensive buy from one of my tool suppliers)- they've never really worn-in properly, and now they're starting to increasingly look like a seventies footballer. So it's time for new brushes....

Questions for the professional painters, then:

Are 'Kana' brushes any good?, prodded and poked them at my local BM, and they fit nicely in my hand, but they're a name I don't recognise (gotta say- don't like so-called 'kaiser' handled brushes, only the beaver tailed).

Seriously looking at some sash brushes (I've been handed a list of home decorating tasks by 'Er, indoors') and have been told they're good for cutting in too. 'Axus' ones any good?

And finally, Natural Bristle, Chinex(?) or can I get away with synthetic? In the past synthetic has been a bit dodgy for finishing oils and varnishes, but screwed up recently, had to buy a cheap set of anza brushes to finish a job, and weren't unimpressed with the finish.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only brushes I use are Purdy Monarch,quailty you can trust, can be used with both oil & water based paints
    Have never used sash brushes for cutting in, only a 1.5" or 2" Purdy brush.
    And I treated myself to a couple of Purdy Sprig brushes for water based gloss for the woodwork, not cheap,but excellent brushes.

http://www.thepaintshed.com/product...shes/purdy-sprig-elite-brush/c-24/c-307/p-955

See this linky, been cutting in same way for many years.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Interesting that he paints the wall with a roller first, then does the edges. I've always done the edges first then roller.

Is there a reason to do one or the other first?

4. Same here, was always taught to do the edges 1st.

tore81 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No idea, done it same way as linky for nearly 40 years.

6. Different Displays

That's how I cut in, but I'm always on the look out for better ways of doing things- My Uncle (time-served painter) used to cut in with a 4" brush- always said it saved him time...

7. Working On It

Working On It Member

Always use Purdy brushes, not as good as they were, but still the best, tried a Picasso the other day, which was on offer in Dulux, brillant brush.....

WOI

KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Artistic licence ;):D even worse the fella's left handed:eek::p

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have been using a lot of Crown Fast Flow u/coat and gloss and found that a I am getting a far superior finish using Purdy XL Elite Monarch brushes they are a little stiffer with finer chinex/polyester bristles, definitely worth checking out.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same brushes I'm using,you definitely get a superior finish on the water based gloss using them.:)

P:S:What's wrong with us left handers.:p

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's great if you work with someone who is left handed as I occasionally do, being right handed myself it surprisingly works well;)

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Every lefty I've ever worked with carpentry/building related has been incredibly cack handed, maybe I've been unlucky with the pairings but there's nothing worse than a righty and a lefty trying to carry sheet material together, or plasterboarding a ceiling, fighting and opposing each other's movements every step of the damn way!

13. Different Displays

S'funny... Righties always lift boards wrong- nothing funnier than watching two righties manoeuvring an 8x4 through a tight space.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I can use both hands to paint and cut in, coupled with my 3ft arms means I can paint about an 8ft section of wall without moving the steps / ladder that comes in really handy.

As a kid I did a stint with some decorators and those guys used to hold two 9 inch paddle brushes in there hands when whitewashing/distemper. Haven't seen brushes like that for sale for years

15. Different Displays

Aren't they called flooring brushes now?

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

don't think so, look like this but 9 inches across the stock compared to the modern 6 inch

upload_2017-5-21_11-50-1.png

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do these brushes come in left and right hand versions? :D

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I tried a Purdy synthetic once - no different from the cheaper priced synthetics.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, you also can use both sides of the brush!:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  20. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

V impressed with the Purdy brush I bought.

For cutting in, you need a good quality brush. Is a false economy getting cheap brushes and paints imo.

You get what you pay for in painting.