BTUs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cragrat, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Cragrat

Cragrat New Member

Having done some research in calculating BTUs I have discovered that there are 2 methods used - Delta T50 and Delta T60 and am aware of how to convert one to the other. My BTUs required were calculated using Delta T50. I have seen the same radiators on 2 different web sites and have contacted the companies to ask if they use the T50 or T60 method. One uses T50 and the other T60 but they both state the same BTU rate for the radiator. How do I know which one is correct?

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

heatings not that complicated, run the flag up the flag pole and see if it flys, if it don't run the other flag up, :)

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Don't worry about it, most calculators for room requirements are vague estimates at best, unless you have a test house where you know precisely the U value of all materials, accurate measurements of weather conditions and controlled ventilation you will never get it spot on. Most calculators add a margin for error so just take the figures given.

Mmm BTU's now those I can relate to, all this new fanged KW stuff does my head in!;)

5. flateric

T 50 T 60 T this that and tuther it makes my head spin ............ Or is it the beer ????????? :)

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

BTU's now there's a thing of the past, it's all done in kilowatts nowadays so your calcs are irrelevant

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

BTU's/KW feet and inches, what a mess, we buy cars that do miles not kilometers, we by pints of beer but litrs of petrol, pipes sold in mm's screwed fittings in inches, big lads brag of having a big un in inches not cm's, there's a mile high club ( i'm not in it :( ) but no kilometer high club, I'm 5 feet 6 and 12 stone and I'll be buried 6 ft under English soil,

FatHands likes this.
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tomp, you know when ya die, yer going to be 1.67m tall, weigh 76kg and you'll be buried 1.83m under the ground. :p:p:p:p

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thanks for that calculation jj , work this out,

I was born in Wigan Lancashire, without moving I'll die in Wigan Greater Manchester. :(

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

further knowledge

a BTU is the amount of energy reqired to heat I pint of water through 1 degree faruenhight ( why's that word German)
    whilst a kilowatt is the amount of energy to heat a litre of water 1 degree centigrade
    :)

12. joinerjohn1

Strange that one Tomp. I was born in Musselburgh, Midlothian, yet today it's in East Lothian. I reckon someone moved the goal posts. :p:p:p:p

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not saying I am getting on a bit but my tape is in cubits and peppercorns!:p

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

did you know a cricket pitch is a CHAIN long, ( 22 yards) and I live 2 furlongs away from a tesco, the tesco is on a piece of land about a hector in size and they sell 2 loaves for a guinea

15. flateric

I am sticking to Killomiles and metric pounds and ounces

16. flateric

How much is a flagon of ale Tom ? more than a pitcher of beer I think.

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you live long enough Tom, you may die in Wigan, Germany. :eek:

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I doubt that Phil its more likely to be Wigan Bangladesh :oops:

19. joinerjohn1

Do they do curry flavour babbies yeds in't chip shops yet?

20. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

not seen any JJ, that would be a sacrament, be like having curry flavoured treacle toffee:rolleyes: