Building a wooden lean to

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Leegsi, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Leegsi

Leegsi New Member

I am wanting to get rid of the tired gazebo and replace it with a wood lean to thats going to last but not sure how big/what size the frame would need to be as the longest run is 360cm and dont want a supporting leg the open size.

The roof I would like to be also wood. My thinking was marine ply with roofing felt over it and the under side tongue and groove.

Height against the house is 240cm
    Height at edge of deck is 220cm (Is that enough fall for the roof for rain to run off?)
    From open end to fence is 250cm
    Length from house to edge of deck is 360cm

Any pointers and help would be great.

Thanks
    20160205_111753resize.jpg 20160205_111735size.jpg 20160205_111710Resized.jpg blog_post_03.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Leegsi

Leegsi New Member

Any help

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Do you really want to cut out all that light to the back of your house with a felt roof? My preference would be clear plastic, either corrugated or twin wall the latter being very tough. Or even glass if your rich enough.

CGN likes this.
  4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

You need to maintain access to your rear upper storey though IMHO.

5. Leegsi

Leegsi New Member

The lean to is at the far end of our kitchen which isnt used very often and with the gazebo it didnt block that much light out to be honest (Not enough to worry about anyway).

The clear plastic stuff looks ok when first fitted but it doesnt take long for it to look tired.

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I would seriously think twice about not wanting a supporting leg on the open side (if that is what you mean) as I can't really see how it could be done without one, with the weight and stresses involved.

7. Leegsi

Leegsi New Member

Would it be possible to sandwich a length of steal between 2 lengths of wood for the extra strength.

[​IMG]

8. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

No I don't think that would make any difference, because it's the stresses going on in the corners that is the problem. You might consider setting back a support on either side of the corner , say halfway along each run. So the corner is effectively canterleaving from the posts on either side. But you probably don't want that. Or maybe a post on the half way along the front and a really strong angled triangular type frame supporting downward. The thing is you have to consider the worst case senario, such as 90 kph winds or 3' of snow. Or put it another way, a 13 stone man jumping up and down on the roof!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do you mean 55 miles ph and 3 inches of snow?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really