Bungalow HW routes?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mostly_wwtp, Apr 22, 2014.

1. mostly_wwtp

mostly_wwtp New Member

Hi - I have a typical 1970's bungalow with pumped open system CH&HW with a cylinder located in the ground floor airing cupboard. The system works fine currently - except....the HW pipes are all laid in the original floor screed without protection and are very badly corroded. We are also planning an extension and will need new HW service there too.

My question - am I ok to route the HW services from the cylinder over the ceilings instead of breaking out ground floor screeds? I have a 28mm inlet / outlet currently on the cylinder, and proposed to tap into the HW cylinder vent pipe above the ceiling for the two bathrooms, and kitchen feeds.

From my limited understanding of physics, providing I fix the new pipes to falls to avoid air-locking, the system should function just fine - the pipe routes are not being made longer, and the pipe sizes would all be the same. I'd be grateful of your thoughts / experience before I plan any changes.

Thanks

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

By rights you should take a draw off the hot supply below the open vent t on the cylinder for limiting air being pulled in, personally I would fit a combi boiler & all new pipe work across roof space, all pipe work drops can be hidden & no risk of leaks or maintenance to tanks etc, system will be cheap & easy to fit, the upgrade benefits for showers & heating response will be to your satisfaction

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Best option for you may be to run pipes as you said but have a pump fitted and a proper connection to the cylinder for the pump.

4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Do it right whilst works going on, talk to a good plumber, do your research on there ability not just out to take lots of money for adaptions etc when you there are better options

5. plumberboy

An unvented cylinder may be an option for you,but obviously everything is based on costs and your budget.

6. mostly_wwtp

mostly_wwtp New Member

Thanks All - I should have explained - the boiler will change to combi in 3 years time when we extend the other side of the house. I am looking to feed the new kitchen and two bathrooms overhead in the meantime, from the existing gravity cylinder. What factors should I be considering when looking to take an feed off the cylinder to run overhead?

G&W thanks for your help also, can you expand a little on the description of "you should take a draw off the hot supply below the open vent t on the cylinder for limiting air being pulled in". Should I draw off below where the vent taps to the cylinder? or anywhere below the top of the vent pipe?

Thanks All - none of this will be a problem in the finished house, but I need a simple solution for a few years!

Thanks

7. plumberboy

You need to take the hot draw off as close to the cylinder as you can,the higher you go up the vent pipe the more likely you will drag air into the system and cause air locks especially when two hot taps are open at the same time.Seen that problem lots of times.