Bungalow to House conversion - Shell only costs

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by sekharsoftware, Dec 23, 2016.

1. sekharsoftware

sekharsoftware New Member

Hi there,

I bought a bungalow with a view to add 5 more bed rooms by adding another floor. I got few quotations above my budget but I don't have that much money to spend on and I am not a builder either. So, I am thinking of taking a project manager role myself to manage it once the shell is built. Once shell is built i can manage plasterers, 2nd fixes and other bits.

I could not find specific information on how much i should pay for shell only type if i go with a main contractor/builder. Here is what i have and want.

- Foundations are all fine to take another floor after digging and checking
    - 120 sqm ground floor, so, I want to build on top with the same foot print. (Take off existing roof, build external walls, put new roof on)
    - No changes to ground floor apart from stair case positioning to a different direction
    - In shell only build i want these covered.
    . Downstairs - Take off the stairs and point to a different direction.
    . Outer wall (Cavity wall with brick and block with insulation)
    . Roof with clay tiles (Marley plain acme tiles), with insulation
    . I have ceiling joists on first floor (loft) currently. with a single bed room with ensuite. So plumbing and
    electricity is already available. But, this needs better supporting floor for adding additional bed rooms.
    . internal stud walls with insulation and sound proofing
    . First fix electrical wiring/cabling and plumbing with 2 bathrooms underfloor heating.
    . Also need Ducting to be laid for MVHR ventilation system.

Could anyone please give me a rough price for a reasonable builder? It would help me greatly in choosing a builder.

Thanks,
    Raj

2. Project Manager is another useless term brought about by the desk jockeys trying to think of something to do.
    On a Building Site you have, depending if a large site or small one.
    Site Foreman
    Clerk of Works.
    General Foreman.
    Chargehands etc to name a few.
    On a small site it would just be someone running the job or in charge of the job.
    Not the insulting Office Wallah terminology of "Project Manager".

Jord86, Astramax and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sign of the times, I'm afraid.:(

A lot of these so called project managers, couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery, let alone a flow of materials delivered at the right stage of the job/build.:(

4. sekharsoftware

Guys,

I am not very good at these terms but that's not the point of my message. Shell only contract estimates is something hard to find on the internet. If you could guide me on the costs, it would be great.

Thanks,
    Raj

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

2 bathrooms underfloor heating.
    Is this wet or electric UFH? Will the UFH be screeded over or boarded?

First fix electrical wiring
    First fix electrical would not be done on its own. You need to have second fix done at the time of the build to ensure all testing is carried out. Anyone part p worth their work will not sign anything off at first fix.

No changes to ground floor apart from stair case positioning to a different direction
    This alone will be at considerable cost, adequate joists and support will have to be installed to accommodate the staircase. It is also not assumable the staircase can be moved, it may have been built in position and cannot be re-used.

Single bed room with ensuite. So plumbing and electricity is already available. But, this needs better supporting floor for adding additional bed rooms.

Don't make the assumption any of this can be used, it is possible most of the existing pipework and electrical may have to be ripped out.

Many parts of this could be left for a while to accommodate for your budget. For example, internal brick walls could be left without plaster/boarding, which could easily save over a thousand if you are prepared to live with it for a few months.
    My (very rough) estimate at this would be £100k~£150k

6. You will need to get people round to actually see the job.
    It is impossible to give a realistic price without seeing what is actually there and site conditions.

7. sekharsoftware

>> Thank you. Is this for shell only ?

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Shell only maybe £70k~120k

But, as Deleted member 11267 rightly said, it is impossible to judge without seeing the job. This is a very rough idea.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the key skills of a "project manager" is to be able to deliver something on time and to budget.

There are several "building" books on Amazon which will be able to give you typical pricing - you then have to apply local variations
    The books will tell you how to break the jobs down into tasks and all the material you will need for each task

This is where you need to start

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. sekharsoftware

Yes, Its not too far from Basingstoke. Will visit this. Thanks.

12. mark.asson

mark.asson New Member

Never mind bungalow conversion....has anyone ever done a house to bungalow conversion ??