Buying a mitre saw

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Kathy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Hi, I am new to carpentry having left college. On our wood machining course all the machines were enormous so know little about site equipment. I am now looking to buy small economic equipment for mainly home jobs so light use. Can't afford any of the big brands. I want to make some cupboards and need a mitre/chop saw. Seen one Blackspur mitre saw almost new but not expensive on the web. Any views? Thanks

2. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

with tools you have to pay for quality,
    we have all tried buying cheap but it just means buying twice,
    its hard when you first start out,
    ive never come across the make,
    sorry would love to say yeah there great,
    but experience tells me it will let you down

Kathy likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Blackspur are very cheap and nasty, if you buy a cheap saw it probably wont be accurate which makes it pointless.
    I would look on fleabay for a De Walt, Makita or Bosch.

Kathy likes this.
  4. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Blackspur is one of the many companies that do not actually make anything, like many they just but in cheap Chinese stock and rebrand it with there own logo such as silverline, rolson and the likes.
    I'd advise you save up a bit more and buy a decent one, at the minimum start out with the evolution range and work up when that gives in. Buy a sliding mitre saw though as I guarantee if you don't you will be wanting one the more you use a non sliding one.

Kathy likes this.
  5. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks Guys for your advice, think I will just hold out for something better and maybe a sliding one too. Just bought a draper hobby table saw second hand. I think it may fall apart before it rips its first plank!! ooops

Gatt likes this.
  6. The evolution mitre saws get fantastic reviews, I have a evolution circular saw and am so impressed with it that I'm going to buy the rage 210 mitre saw, it's only £99 .....a bargain!!

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Cheers Mike I will have a look at them now. Kathy

8. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I have one of the rage evolution mitre saws... Can't tell you off the top of my head which one...it's nice to use but the pre-made stops for 90degrees is off so I've used a square and etched actual 90...not sure if this is just common for this type of mitre saw or if I mine was just made wrong lol....either way not really a problem

9. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

It's very common on the cheaper saws

10. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Thought so mate...

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As others have said, Evolution saws are pretty good for the money. Get a good square, make some test cuts and adjust the fence till its true.

I find the standard multi purpose blade to be a bit rough for second fix, kitchen cornice etc, so to make it more versatile, you can fit a finer blade with a 30mm centre and use a reducer to go from 30 to 25.4mm(1") which is the size of the arbour on these saws(on my version anyway :)) You can get them from axminster etc for a couple of quid.

I bought a 80T blade from TS, reducer from axminster and after 10 mins setting the saw up was making good clean cuts on laminate, cornice etc.

As I don't need to use a mitre saw everyday so this more than meets my needs for the time being/cost :)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Buy a Dewalt DW777. I started 20 years ago with a second hand 110v Elu PS173, which is essentially the same saw as the Dewalt DW777 (I know that Dewalt have changed a lot of things but owning both of the saws I can definitely say they are very closely related. I still have the ELU but its very tired now!

I have been through all kinds of saws since but have just gone out and bought a new DW777 as for value £200-300 odd, accuracy and portability it is unbeatable. Its not got the capacity of bigger saws but it will cut up to about 9x3 which covers 99% of work.

14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

They may all be made in China in the same 3 - 4 different factories anyways. Just being badged different for different importers :)

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Buy the Jet JSMS-10L 250mm Slide Mitre Saw. Only £219 inc vat. Probably china but their stuff is good quality.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch GCM8SJL superb saw

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It only bevels one way. I'll stick with my Makita.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Light and portable are the key factors for a saw for me.

Double bevels, huge capacities etc are all well and good but for a saw to be transported about it adds a lot of bulk and weight.

For the workshop if I needed a mitre saw it could be as big as I needed, but for working out and about no thanks.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm not bother with saw being single bevel, that I can adapt to, I like for it's 70x312mm @ 90°degrees , 70 x 214 mm 45°mitre & 48 x 312 mm 45°bevel, plus it's only 17Kg in weight.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a dewalt saw and it has been excellent but so expensive even second hand. I was switching channels and on one of the shopping channels they had SIP chop saw which does compound mitres for around £200. looked quite good.