C.K. Automatic Wire Strippers - Knurled Knob & Rubber Cables

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RzB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. RzB

RzB Member

There is a small knurled knob on the left hand anvil of these excellent strippers.

Does anyone have any idea what it's for? I have Googled for ages but can find nothing.

Also - I can't seem to make these strippers work on rubber insulated flex cables.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Roy

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Is this the "micro-adjustment knob for stripping wires smaller than 0.2mm²" ?

3. Wire strippers are waste of money and space in the tool box.
    Use a pair of snips/side cutters or croppers depending on what is being stripped.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I couldn't disagree more! I have a pair of, I think, old CK wire cutters (like the ones linked to, without the bells and whistles, bought around 1989) and they are extremely useful.

5. Diy wally's might think they they are usefull, but myself and every spark I know rightly think they are a useless piece of tat.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i have used both and found auto wire stripers are ok if one has limited skill with side cutting pliers can avoid making a mess or when striping non standard cables (bit like the special armor cable striping tools) but i gave up on auto cable stripers as in 1 year went through 5 different models all broke during normal use (and ranged from 3 pound to 15 pound) and decide enough was enough

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I say Dobbs - bit harsh m8..:)

8. Not having a go at you JP,you have worked at rewiring etc and will know they are tat.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

10. Another piece of tat,all you need for SWA is depending on size a junior/standard hacksaw and stanley/stripping knife.

A Joi stripper is handy for some Pyro though.

Rulland likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

well having only used a stanley knife and a pair of side cutting pliers with swa (i didnt know if that was a good method) so for once kept my mouth shut (better to sit silent and be thought of a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt)

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I have to say I absolutely love automatic wire strippers.

Especially on flex or stranded cable.

If you are a spark and doing the same thing everyday of course a just a pair of side cutters. Quicker

And you should be able to strip cable back neat and tidy after doing it thousands of times of days. Pretty obvious you will become a master at it.

But for the mixed trades these are great why not make things easy. New tools are brought out for reasons. Too make things easier!

Joe95, Comlec and Dr Bodgit like this.
  14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Years and years back, I was taught by experienced wiremen that side cutters are NOT ideal for stripping wire and that either notched cutters or strippers should be used - teeth were also a no-no.

There is always a chance with solid cable that you can put a nick in the copper which immediately creates a weak point or with stranded you could cut off a strand or several.

Joe95 and tore81 like this.
  15. I have never known a spark or seen a spark using wire strippers.

16. RzB

RzB Member

Crikey - touched some raw nerves here!

For those that only think this tool is useful - the rest should look away...

Thank you David for your comment about the Knurled Nut - I only wish I could find a manual or user guide. So it's for small diameter wires. Interesting.. Does one screw it In or Out for thin wires? I can't see what it actually does..

Also - has anyone else had success with rubber insulated cables.

Thanks,
    Roy

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I would imagine the knurled nut might stop the "claws" from closing completely, just a guess.

For anything other than "core" wires like the outer insulation of T&E or flexi cable I use a Stanley knife, carefully score the outer insulation so as not to go through to the core insulation underneath, then for flexi cable - bend the outer insulation to finally detach it.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Just a personal view - not a recommendation
    upload_2016-12-1_16-44-46.png

tore81 likes this.
  19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

1 = never used so cannot comment

2 = use them most of the time

3 = use them now and then, and no problem.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Do those auto wire strippers strip the sheath without honking the cores on say 2.5mm t and e?