cable outside of safe zones?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Heliox, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Heliox

Heliox New Member

(I have searched the forum and it returns too many listings similar to this subject)

Can somebody clarify, in a rewire, can a cable be passed through a stud wall that is not going to or from a switch or junction box (in that wall)and also be outside the safe zones? (for arguments sake lets say 250mm from a corner wall).

i.e want to move a cable that supplies upstairs light circuit in loft and comes from ground floor through a first floor stud wall.

I was under the impression that if its more than 50mm deep from either side of wall it is permitted? I was told yesterday by spark that it has to go through metal earthed conduit if it is outside the safe zones of 150mm top and sides/corners or not going to a socket,box or switch in the room the cable passes through? I dont doubt this suggestion is a safe method. I think he is wrong, but I am quite open to being wrong myself as it wont be the first time ;)

To clarify the question I suppose is:
    Can a cable if more than 50mm deep from both sides of wall and not serving a switch or socket in the room; be passed through the wall outside of safe zones without mechanical protection?

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

This 50mm business makes me laugh TBQH.

Morning sir..1 box of 2 1/2in no 8's please.

I rest my case.

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

If it's more than 50mm deep (from both sides of course)it doesn't need protection. If you can't get the 50mm minimum, put a socket in line with the cable run, that will give you a 'safe zone'!

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I know what you're saying JP but if they made it 100mm someone would come along with a 6 inch nail wouldn't they!

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen..know what you mean M8.

7. Blewtobitz

Blewtobitz New Member

cable at greater than 50mm deep are ok out of zones and with out rcd protection .think about it how would anyone be able to put them under floorboards for eg I am a niceic inspector and was the annoying guy responsible for changing the regs on rcd protection for cables .sorry bout that lol

8. Supra

Supra Member

The same with safe zones which makes it even more frightening as how many novice diy people will be aware of them! :eek:

9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

If you stick rigidly to every rule and regulation and obey all the health and safety c**p and all the pc **** you would be knee deep in paper and skint ..... Common sense has left the building :(