Cable Rejection?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dale76uk, Feb 10, 2016.

1. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

Good evening all,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this post. My question today is merely at what point would you reject a roll of cable? Today I carried out an Insulation Resistance test on two new rolls of 1.0mm 6242Y Twin and Earth Cable; my readings were as follows:-

L N 202M ohms
    L E 52M ohms
    N E 26M ohms

I conducted the tested on a different brand of cable and attained 500M ohms between Live conductors and Live Conductors and Earth.

Your comments appreciated.

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

Are you serious?

madhatter1uk likes this.
  3. Stugadget

Stugadget Member

I would contact the manufacturers technical department and ask them what they think. Let us know what they say !

4. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

I've spoken to the Manufacturer today and they are going to conduct an investigation. I will let you know what they say in due course. Needless to say I didn't use it.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  5. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

absolutely!

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You meggered it whilst it was still on the coil? Usually the inner end is alp twisted up.

7. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

Made sure it was separated ;-)

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've never tried it, maybe it was acting as some kind of magnetic coil and confusing the meter.

I would be more interested in doing an R1+R2 test to see if we are getting the full 100m.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  9. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

my third
    that said, the third roll of the same cable 6242Y; but different brand; tested at 500M ?

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Every roll of cable I test end to end at least now after finding out the hard way after installing it and getting open circuit(s). . try telling your client its a faulty cable rather than an install issue. .

Your not being pedantic OP, just sensible and I have always endorsed anyone to check before they uncoil

Most cable is made in Turkey now (that well known cable expert making country) Alas Cablo or something like that. .

Dell, I can hear Mr Phase wire banging on about this in his lectures. . .;)

11. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

[QUOTE="Dell, I can hear Mr Phase wire banging on about this in his lectures. . .;)[/QUOTE]

If we're talking about the same chap Hawaii 50 should ring a bell :)

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  12. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Also where BEKO Freezers/ Tumble Dryers etc are made which have caused numerous house fires.

13. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

You can't beat Pirelli

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I always use Pirelli cables - a tad more expensive compared to other cables, but its good stuff

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must admit have never tested drums of cable before deploying in the system - all tests are carried out after installation, however continuity takes seconds to carry out so I will do said. Never had faulty cable though, and I have done many rewires over the past 40 yrs or so. I'm sure the manufacturers of the cable must test continuity etc during production? you know quality control

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Stranded stuff (4mm and above in Twin and skin flavour as an example) can withstand a bit of twisting, solid stuff like 1mm up to 2.5 wont, get a piece of stripped 1mm copper and twist quite a few times and it won't take long to snap

Add a cold drum off the van in the morning and it might do the same but you are not going to see it until test time. .

610.1 states inspection and testing is carried out during erection as well as other aspects

17. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Strips easily too.