Calling all woodturners out there

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Learner Turner, Apr 1, 2004.

1. WOLF

WOLF New Member

HAB, i can see your point/s , and will agre to disagree.. however, people like P Childs(the late) and others are turning mainly for pleasure, along with people like stuart king, stuart mortimer etc, are professionals in the vain of teaching others the art and skills that they know....
    however, in a truely commercial arena, the subject of turning a square ..say..bowl blank down on the lathe is strictly OFF LIMITS.. due to the HSE rules and reg's for such tooling..if i were to allow my staff to rough out a blank with gouges and not on ..say.. abandsaw, the i could be fined. and/or stopped from trading....
    regards matt
    p.s... i will admit that in my home workshop i do love to turn down a new "fresh" section with only the gouges for company!!!!!!!!!!!

2. hab

hab New Member

Ok Matt I respect your position but you are wrong about Peter Child as he was a professional woodturner of the highest reputation - he and Frank Pain were the doyens of woodworking at the time.They both ran businesses and their writings and demonstrations set the standards of wood turning practice on both a professional and amateur level.Pain's book "Guide to Woodturning" in particular is still seen as setting the standards and practices.The others I mentioned previously are also professional turners of the highest repute.
    It is a very interesting point that you make about the constrictions HSE places on your freedom of action in this respect - but I NEVER suggested turning down a square bowl blank!! The turning from square is only acceptable and safe in spindle work where the work is supported at both ends.The point I was making was that we might rough out a bowl blank off the lathe to perfect geometrical symmetry and because of differences in texture ( heartwood/sapwood) or weight (uneven drying) it still behaves as if it were out of balance.
    And as you say in the last sentence of your post there is something very special about working green wood with a sharp tool isn't there - something really special.
    Thanks for your attention Matt and I hope that you have accepted my contributions in the spirit that they were intended.I have a sneaking suspicion that in general we would find that we agree about many more things than we disagree about.
    All the best, Hab

3. Cruyff

Cruyff New Member

Hi Gary

I have just seen your request and I have joined a wood turning club recently, in Cardiff, it runs twice a week Monday and Thursday evening. if you want the details please contact me.
    Bernard

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hi Bernard.
    Gary hasn't posted in over 11 years
    Ron J

Gatt likes this.
  5. youmi

youmi New Member

Wolf, would you be interested in doing a small job. I need a cone shaped piece of wood to fit in the mouth of a small drinking glass.