Can anyone help me with a cieling problem?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LP18, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LP18

LP18 Member

Again, **** picture but here is one I found online that looks the same.
    Seems to be some coating on the lath and plaster..

Attached Files:

2. Yes, that's lath and plaster - which means it's the original ceiling from new.

So no asbestos sheeting there.

To be sure to be sure, cut a small amount away from the underside - see what's under that woodchip. The plaster will be easy to cut through with a screwdriver of chisel and the layer thickness can vary a huge amount, anything from a quarter to an inch thick (or even more).

When you think about how it works - lots of lath strips of varying thickness and wobbliness - the thickness of plaster (usually applied in layers) required to get it all even and level is going to vary a lot.

Anyhoo, the chances of any asbestos being in there is infinitesimal - BMC was being super-cautious because he has come across p'board over asbestos sheet in his time.

So, mask on, peel away woodchip, cut in to plaster - see what it's like.

If you really wanna be careful, get a water spray bottle and spray the plaster spot as you cut in - keep the bits all damp.

See when I said this was the messiest job of all? Well, with p-on-lath, it'll be messier still :D

Taking it down is same as before - if you can get above the ceiling and work from there, all the better. Failing that, a long-handled crowbar will hook the lath and you can snap it down easily enough.

Then remove the fivethousandthreehundredandseventyfour nails.

(Or hammer them in flat... :))

3. LP18

LP18 Member

I thought so. Just out of curiosity, any idea why it's gone a dark grey colour? o_O

I've just looked under the woodchip paper as you say.
    The first picture is of the damaged area, the other is of another space at the other side of the room for comparison.
    It looks like it's lime and horse hair plaster the same as the walls, rather than plaster board.

As you can see, (or might not be able to; it's difficult to get the perspective right with the picture) the part that was bulging under the paper has been a patch job.
    They obviously had some sort of leak and skimmed over it (badly).

Attached Files:

4. LP18

LP18 Member

Second picture. It wouldn't let me upload into the same post for some reason.

Thanks for the post, devil.

Attached Files:

5. OOOHHHHH MYYYYY GAWD! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Hold on a minute - no, it's ok.

Yes, the 'pink' plaster is relatively new - as you say, almost certainly a repair after a leak or summat.

Do you have access to above the ceiling?

Just commit yourself - it's gonna be messy, you are going to be messy. Ask other 'alf to hose you down when you're done.

The grey bits are chust dusty - that grey stuff is dust... :)

6. But almost certainly dust.

7. Made up of anthrax spores.

8. Or possibly chust dust.

9. LP18

LP18 Member

Haha! :D In truthfullness I was taking that paper off very tentatively for fear of what I might find.

I can get to the ceiling. yeah. Are you suggesting then that I take the entire thing down?
    As I said this looks to be the original lime & horsehair rather than plasterboard, and other than the area we've been discussing it's actually in decent condition.

And what's Chust dust? :confused:
    And yes, I remember a rumour your could find anthrax in old lime & horse hair. Never heard of that actually happening, however!

Thanks again

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's lath and plaster. The 'ribs' are where the plaster has squeezed through the laths.

Edit - Please ignore my post and sorry for the duplication - couldn't see the other posts until after I had submitted. Oops.

11. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Spell.

LP18 likes this.
  12. LP18

LP18 Member

Yep, I would of initially thought so given that the most of the house is lath & plaster, it was just the fact that it was dark grey in colour and difficult to see that threw me.

Cheers

13. If the rest of the ceiling is ok, then there's no reason why you cannot chust patch up the dodgy bit. It can be tricky to get a good clean edge on lath, tho', since the process of removing the plaster/ cutting laths in one spot can affect the surrounding areas.

But, if you can do so, just replace the removed lath with a p'board section and skim - adding a scrim tape along the join betwixt the new p'board and the lath ceiling so's you don't get any future hairline cracks.

What is actually damaged? Chust the plaster coat or are the laths also knack'ed? If you could remove chust the damaged plaster from one area leaving the laths firmly attached, then you could theoretically p'board over the laths using slightly longer p'board screws to secure to the joists. Then skim in layers until you match the existing ceiling level.

14. You would of?

OF?!

It's "would have thought"...

As well as fixing your ceiling, don't ever ever EVER make that mistake again.

(That's free additional advice. You are welcome :))

15. LP18

LP18 Member

I'll do one of the patching options you talk of, then.
    I'm not sure the extent of the damage yet; I'm going to chip away at the pink plaster tomorrow to see.

It all depends on how sulphur effects wood when exposed to it I guess. :)
    The plaster obviously hasn't faired too well, but maybe they laths will be alright.

Cheers

16. LP18

LP18 Member

Sorry, English isn't my first language so I slip up sometimes.
    (As I've apparently been roasted for twice now :rolleyes:)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Not your first language?

So how come you are better than most on here? :D

LP18 likes this.
  18. LP18

LP18 Member

This wood chip paper must be some kind of sick joke.
    I've been taking it off virtually all day and it still isn't finished!

There must be at least three layers of paint on there...

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's great fun isn't it!:p

Absolute nightmare.

LP18 likes this.