Can faulty Tumble Dryer Start Capacitor damage the dryer permanently?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by antrimcoaster, Oct 12, 2015.

1. antrimcoaster

antrimcoaster New Member

I have a Caple Tdi100 tumble dryer which for a period of a few days wouldn't start when I pressed the start button. When I turned the drum manually to kick it off and closed the door quickly it runs ok however. Since I've given it a few runs over the past few days, it now appears to start every time by itself again.

Looking online, it appears that this is because the start capacitor isn't holding a charge and doesn't have enough power to start it up. I am guessing the capacitor is holding a charge again since I gave it a few runs. When I asked a local repair shop about this, they said I should get it replaced now because not changing it could destroy the machine or burn it out.

Is this right? Surely the worst that could happen here is that when the dryer stops to reverse mid-cycle it would not turn again and I would have to get the capacitor replaced at that point.

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select