Can I make my own Single Phase Link?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, May 25, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Something like this, thickness of copper is 4.00mm

This is retailing at over £23, which seems expensive for what it is.

[​IMG]

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Yes of course you can, but do you plan to use copper or are you going to try and fudge a cable link?

They are expensive due to the waste you get punching them out. Just remember a sheet of copper from B&Q etc won't be HDHC copper.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

How about something from a clearance cu? Loads about since the amd 3 "joke".

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is what one contractor did to convert a 3ph to 1ph board.

upload_2016-5-25_16-43-39.png

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I would probably just use a bit of single phase bus bar and shove it in with the tail, they do the same on single phase boards with the leads to the RCDs.

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

In this case it's probably ok to use busbar, but some of them have 125 or 250A incomers, then it's not possible to use comb busbar

8. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

why not just price the job properly and include the price of the kit which will also come with the appropriate stickers.

nffc likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The one I've shown is a Hager Invicta 125A Single phase kit.

All that's supplied in the kit is an M8x25mm nut and bolt with flat and spring washer.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Each leg is 8.25mm x 4mm thick giving a CSA of 33mm2

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

But that does not necessarily give the same results as a piece of 35mm cable and in reality it's much more efficient that trying to stuff 2 cables into each terminal

12. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Exactly, start getting involved with busbar and skin effect becomes relavent.

13. peter palmer

If its a single phase supply then whats the likelihood of it being more than 100 amps anyway unless its in a big factory or something but then surely it would have 3 phase.

14. nffc

nffc Active Member

What a shocker. Even worse that members are actually entertaining the idea.

I do hope if you do go down this route you are open and honest about your shortcut and do not charge a penny.

15. peter palmer

So you can buy an piece of copper with an over inflated price tag and its all perfect or you can use a practically identical piece of copper you find in the van and it becomes a dangerous cowboy job, how exactly? they both do the same thing Years ago it was all about being inventive, now if you don't tow the line you become the most hated person on the planet.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Copper's coppers, copper :):)

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Th link cost £29.82 which I think is too much, are there universal ones available that would fit on all boards - probably not manufactures dont make things easy. If they were £10 each that that would be ok.

I knew I'd be in trouble for this thread.:oops:

18. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

What you have to watch here is you could be putting your reputation on the line,yes there are several ways around the problem,I've even seen it done with a henley block,and it was perfectly safe and did the job.
    However what you have to consider is the next person who works on it,there are a lot of people out there who can only see one way of doing it,in this case by buying the right link,now potentially you could come up with a way of doing it that's perfectly fine.However,and here's the problem,if one of these people comes along in 12 months and opens the board and gives it "oh my god! which rough a**ed so and so did this" then your name could be mud.
    Over the years experienced sparks see a lot of things and personally if I see something out of the ordinary but safe I don't make a song and dance over it.sometimes in certain situations you have to think outside the box.But for 30 quid is it worth it? there's only you can answer that one.

Btw I did actually use the Henly block trick on one job,a customer called me out at 6pm,he'd lost part of the supply to his shop,it was 3 phase supply but only a very small load that was single phase,the previous owner had had a lot of power hungry gear in there.Anyway it was down 2 phases on the incomer,the dno came out and found a fault in the cable feeding the whole street,it wasn't going to be sorted for at least 15 hours.
    Now the guy has a problem,he can't drop his shutters so,does he stay there all night or do we do something else?
    I put all 3 phases in a Henley then connected that to the remaining phase,the guy locked up and we went home,when normal power had been restored I went and put it back as it was,there's a time and a place for doing things and its up to the man on the ground to make the call.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Jit I would just cough up the dosh for the link m8 - agree 100% with NFFC.

nffc and philthespark like this.
  20. nffc

nffc Active Member

How have you come to this decision? What knowledge do you have of testing, production and shipping costs for this product? Can you share this info with us so we can debate?