Can I reuse an EV fusebox?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jon1979, Apr 23, 2024.

1. jon1979

jon1979 New Member

I have an old EV fusebox on the wall outside (we no longer have the EV). It is wired to junction boxes in the meter cupboard.

Can I take the charger off and put an external socket there? It’d be more useful. I think I will need to change the RCBO to a lower amp one in the EV fusebox (it’s 40amp at the moment).

Thanks.

2. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

Some pics might help.

3. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

You would also need to put up some pics of the "meter cupboard", as some EV sockets are only live during the off-peak hours. This is sometimes done within the EV unit, sometimes at the meter.

4. jon1979

jon1979 New Member

This is the proposed setup.

Attached Files:

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

20 amp supply to a light?

6. The Happy Builder

It is notifiable work and requires a Part P Notification to the local council building control to be compliant.

7. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Yes, it is a new circuit.

8. Refuse to Bend

Unless the fitting incorporates a BC or ES lampholder which would restrict it to 16A then 20A is acceptable providing the circuit cable is adequate and manufacturer instructions don't suggest otherwise.
    I do think though this is beyond the OP's skill set and as already stated is notifiable work if you are in England or Wales.

9. The Happy Builder

I think it is fairly safe to assume that the lighting manufacturer instructions won’t permit connection to a 20 amp circuit.

On mainland Europe they do go higher, but but generally above 10 or 16 map circuits, because they do have combined socket and lighting circuits.

10. Refuse to Bend

I have installed many a commercial/industrial lighting circuit with protection above 20A and without knowing if the manufacturer suggests otherwise we don't know but for this installation I agree the norm is to fit reduced protection.

11. The Happy Builder