Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Nov 12, 2006.

1. gormac

gormac New Member

gedvan, What I would do in your position is fit the vertical batons and foil like you said, but then fit more vertical batons on top of where the others are. You'll need to do this in order to have something to staple the cladding to. What you gonna fix it to if you only have horizontal batons at, say, 30mm centres?
    With vertical ones, there's something to staple to at every level.
    I used a hand stapler, and cut the foil with a Stanley knife, all with no probs.

2. Won't the single set of vertical battens do both jobs - give the quilt something to be stapled on to, and also the cladding? I don't see the need for horizontal battens at all, unless I'm missing summat?

3. gedvan

gedvan New Member

i think i know were gormac is comeing from in order to fix the cladding you will need points to fix it to if you just fix them to the horizontal battons you would need to mesure the width of the cladding and put the horizontal there if you know what i mean,you know i was thinking last night why do i just put a false sealing on and then clad to that i would insurlate the roof as above anyway thanks again for your help it great to write to you both cheese ged

4. Yes, but... :)

The exisitng aluminium roof bars run vertically, and that suits the fixing of the cladding. So, battens attached to these roof bars will be ideal for both the quilting and the cladding - just one batten on each bar - nothing else required, I'd have thought?

Making it a flast false roof is, indeed, another option. Obviously the timbers you use will have to be strong enough to span the gap with sagging - 3x2's might do it, but 4x2's would likely be more relibale - depends on the span.

Check that the height of the connie sides are enough so it won't feel too low overhead.

5. gormac

gormac New Member

By putting the first set of vertical batons on the rails, it will give you something to staple the foil to, as it's a nightmare to fix the foil to the ally rails.
    The second set of batons will give you something to fix the cladding to.
    Both will give you the required 25mm air gap between layers.
    Think I would do it this way next time.

6. Ah, I didn't realise a 25mm gap was required betwixt t'cladding and t'quilt. I'd assumed the quilt would 'puff up' behind the cladding since it would have plenty of space between the battens. The quilt would be in contact with the cladding, but I didn't see that as a problem.

7. gedvan

gedvan New Member

thanks lads for your replys i think i will go with the two batton aproach i think if i put a flat rood on it my be to low for my son who is 6ft 4in know what i mean, i think ill start it in the new year ill just get all the insurlation and wood and cladding for now how much cladding do you think i will need for my coni at 10ft x15 ft thanks again for your help,

8. welshphil

welshphil New Member

Could I ask how you secured the battons to the conservatory roof.

Cheers
    Phil

9. I suspect by screwing through the aluminium roof bars. These are hollow box-section, so the screw tip will end up in the space in t'middle.

Chose your screw lengths carefully so's they pernetrate no more than, say, a quarter inch into the box section. Drill almost clearance holes in the timber battens so's the screws are snug but don't 'bite' fully in the timber, and feed your screws in so's their tips just protrude out t'back side. Hold t'battens in place and tap the screw 'eads with 'ammer to leave marks in t'plastic-coated rails. Then drill pilot holes in the ali rails (pilot holes should be around a half the screw size so's they do cut and bite fully into the ali.)

10. gormac

gormac New Member

Spot on, as long as you drill a pilot hole you'll have no problems.

11. One day, my child, you'll answer a Q before I do...

( you lots :))

12. scooby

scooby New Member

Thanks to all on here I had a go at this.  I batoned the existing roof struts (drilled 3mm pilot holes in to ally frame and fixed each one with 30mm screws which I knew wouldnt go through the roof), stapled superquit, rebatoned again over the top of the quilt, lined it all with kingspan 25 and then clad it with pvc soffit cladding...... total cost £330 (kingspan and superquilt ebay, cladding roofing company, wood nails and scews diy shop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks very nice. You do know that by fixing into the roofbars, you have entered the channel that is there for water to run down and away, for any rain that gets through the outer gasket ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. gormac

gormac New Member

Top job mate, hope you're happy with the results.
    Thats exactly the way I did it, with no problems since, no condensation or rainwater leaks so don't let Handyandy's comment scare you.

Anyway, what you doing on here, away and enjoy your conservatory!!

ps DA......... Beat you to it this time;)

15. Damn, damn, damn...

(Nice job )

16. jengkol1

jengkol1 New Member

amasunuuuuuu kipppp rok on!!!

17. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Wow that looks impressive.

I have been thinking of a conservatory for a while, but I have been worried that it would be cold in the winter as the garden is north facing. So it would not have much use when its colder.

How easy was it to install the installation?

I was thinking of a conservatory like this
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/e9-edwardian-upvc-double-glazed-conservatory-white-3-73-x-3-66-x-3-26m/32606

Which seems to be a good price at the mo, I guess end of season.

Thanks for any help

Lucy

18. gregakehurst

gregakehurst New Member

I'm just going to put this out there and see what you think - Wooden Tongue and Groove rather than the PVC cladding? Obviously a lot harder to put up but also really satisfying. Do you think its:

A) A stupid idea due to the hassle
    B) A stupid idea due to the weight
    C) A stupid idea due to the cost

D) A good idea if I can cope with A - C....

Thoughts...

Greg

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The heat would be your worst enemy(warping/cracking).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. gormac

gormac New Member

Yeah, bad idea.
    A,B & C all apply.
    PVC is a joy to work with compared to wooden T&G

c'mon DA, keep up!!! ;)