Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Nice x 2.

Geds, any chance of a photie?

2. gedvan

gedvan New Member

yes ill try and find some ok

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:14:10 +0000
    To: gedpvdh@hotmail.co.uk
    Subject: Re: - Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?
    Screwfix Community Forum

created by Devil's Advocate in Builders' Talk - View the full discussion

Nice x 2.

Reply to this message by going to Screwfix Community Forum
    Start a new discussion in Builders' Talk at Screwfix Community Forum

3. perkst

perkst New Member

Hi

I will soon have my insulation panels in place, and wanted to know if anyone knew of a place to get Brown UPVC panels from at a good price ?

T

4. scooby

scooby New Member

I got my white ones form a local roofing supplier (£10 per 5m)  who also had brown ones so I'd just look up your local roofing suppliers

6maurepas likes this.
  5. gedvan

gedvan New Member

Hi devils advocate
    i have tried to post some photos to you but its saying the file is to big please could you send me your email address and i will send directly to your address ok ged

Screwfix Community Forum

Nice x 2.

6. gedvan

gedvan New Member

Screwfix Community Forum

Nice x 2.

Attached Files:

7. gedvan

gedvan New Member

HI there
    I've sent you some photos as promised just hope you receive them feel free to post them on the job took about three days and as you can see look very good big improvement ged

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:39:06 +0000
    Screwfix Community Forum

If you go into a Wilkinsons or hardware store or Superstore or Builders' Merchants and check out their 'shower/bath sealing strips', you should hopefully find a roll of white pliable strip which is around 30mm wide and has a 'fold' in the middle. This is used to seal around baths and worktops, the fold going in the corner along the back edge. Self-adhesive too. I reckon that would be a simple and neat solution.
    Obviously you need to mitre the PVC boards where they meet, and try not to have an excessive gap there (so I guess you do want a tiny expansion gap?). Might be tricky to get the first angle right, so use stiff card or summat to make a template.

8. goneout

goneout New Member

Hi everyone, great thread thanks to all contibutors, particularly Gormac and AD

Can anyone help,  I've fixed vertical battens to ally struts no problem, and stapled Foil to the Battens.
    Next step is screwing second set of battens on top of the foil into the first set of battens.. 

The problem is I can't screw through the foil,  as all that happens is the foil winds itself around the screw thread and jams it up. Can't drill through the foil either for same reason.. 
    Im using superfoil sf40.
    Can you tell me what your solution was thanks...

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

10. (Bet Sean had a grin on his face as he posted that... )

If you can get thin serrated nails, that should be ideal. Don't forget you can drill pilot holes in the underbattens first so's you don't end up hammering too much against your ali roof rafters - you can even 'load-up' the battens with the nails first so's you don't even have to hold the batten, nails, 'ammer, yer cuppa, etc upside-down...

Thin nails too - 2 - 3mm dia. Serrated so's they grip and don't loosen over time.

Geds, what a good job. Do you have a painted photo too? :)

I like the partially-vaulted approach. One possible teeny, tiny concern - is the void above the centre bit ventilated? If not, I wonder if there's any risk of condensation forming up there over colder months?

11. gedvan

gedvan New Member

Aa you can see i've had the wall done as well to cut down the amount of glass so to try to improve insulation near the radiator hope this is a help to others who intend to do this on there coney,just be careful not to but your screws in off center and like i said he only put two screws per vertical bation one right at the top and bottom so to minimise any leaking and he also used some very strong adhesive,the strucker was so strong he swung on it to prove a point ged

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:40:36 +0000
    Screwfix Community Forum

(Bet Sean had a grin on his face as he posted that... )
    If you can get thin serrated nails, that should be ideal. Don't forget you can drill pilot holes in the underbattens first so's you don't end up hammering too much against your ali roof rafters - you can even 'load-up' the battens with the nails first so's you don't even have to hold the batten, nails, 'ammer, yer cuppa, etc upside-down...
    Thin nails too - 2 - 3mm dia. Serrated so's they grip and don't loosen over time.
    Geds, what a good job. Do you have a painted photo too? :)
    I like the partially-vaulted approach. One possible teeny, tiny concern - is the void above the centre bit ventilated? If not, I wonder if there's any risk of condensation forming up there over colder months?

Attached Files:

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I hope you all abided by building control regs, where no building regs were necessary when first erected(regarding amount of transparency/light).
    :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Righty Joe

Righty Joe New Member

Thanks for all the great info/ideas. This is something I'm going to attempt next week.

Before I order the materials, I hope someone can provide some advice.  If I fit the initial layer of batons and foil, can I attach the kingspan directly to the original batons and avoid the second layer of batons? There would be a void between the original conservatory roof and the foil, but not between the foil and the kingspan.

This would reduce weight, but require longer nails for the cladding.

14. gedvan

gedvan New Member

HI there i thought about that, you will notice that the foul is pinned to the top of the vertical baton leaving a gap between the poly,that gap extends down to the bottom thus leaving a good circulation of air from top to bottom,hope you can understand what im trying to say.ged

15. scooby

scooby New Member

Joe, You need to have an air gap between the foil and the kingspan, I believe a min of 25mm (others will correwct me) the second set of batons help provide this, not sure how you will achieve this without a second set

16. scooby

scooby New Member

Ged, what does the 'wall' look like from the outside? I may tackle a wall next.... I thought about buying some of that peel on window tint to disguise what was behind it

17. martlaws

martlaws New Member

Hi Looks Like a brillant job, and a room that now can be used all year round, could you tell me what insulation material you used, and i assume you stuck the insulation to the roof panels, what glue did you use, thanks.

18. PinkConnect

PinkConnect New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but been lurking a while with a special interest in this thread as I'm considering doing this myself.

There are some fantastic jobs here with a few different variations but most of them involve timber batons, the blanket, kingspan and the cladding which to me sounds very arduous and time consuming.

Why can't I simply screw 75 or 100mm kingspan to the roof beams and cover that in matt white vinyl flooring glued straight to the kingspan giving the impression of plaster?

There will still be 25mm air gap behind the kingspan and with 100mm it's not going to need the blanket.

Obviously I may need to paint one side of the kingspan so it looks ok from the outside but I can't think of any other downsides to this far simpler idea. Can anyone else?

19. gormac

gormac New Member

Hi Pinky,

I think the horse you left tied outside has broken free and is running about the streets. Also, your spurs have marked the flooring in here.

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist that.................

Seriously, white vinyl flooring glued to the kingspan?
    Maybe get away with screwing the kingspan straight to the roof beams but there's no way I would glue lino onto it.

20. Pinky, it's one of those jobs where, if a pro came in and suggested doing it your way, you'd show him the door.

But, if a DIYer wants to do it - I can't see any reason why they shouldn't.

I don't think I'd bother going as thick as 4" Celotex, tho'. Phew. (Tho', again, no reason not to if you want.)

Provided there would be no risk of the Celotex sagging, bowing, or otherwise moving in the changing temps, I guess you could even paper-line it - y'know the plain paper roll you use on rough walls to prepare it prior to painting? Simply pasted on (provided the paste will stick to foil...) A few thick coats of emulsion (perhaps even the stuff with a slight ripple texture to it) on top - jobbie done.

I think trying to get vinyl flooring up there will be a nightmare; it's heavy, awkward, will be very difficult to get neat in the corners, etc...