Can you recommend a good plumbing training provider in the Midlands?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Henk Kroon, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Henk Kroon

Henk Kroon New Member

Hi All. I've just been made redundant and want to re-train as a plumber, ideally to NVQ3 + ACS. What training providers can you recommend in the Midlands region? I have literature from OLCI, Train4TradeSkills and Trade Qualified Limited, but finding it hard to decide. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Henk

2. wetnec

wetnec New Member

Have a look at Riaz Plumbers,have you doin outside taps in minutes,save you a bundle.

3. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

I suggest you think long and hard before training to become a plumber, the industry is well overstaffed at the moment with decent apprentices & tradesmen being paid off, so career changers have very little chance.As well as any course work you may do you need supervised practical experience from a tradesman to back it all up or you will end up like many on this forum changing tap washers.

4. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Henk,
    As has been seaid above this is not a good time to train as a plumber.
    For you to complete an NVQ level 2 or 3 you will need to get work with a company. This also goes for any ACS training.
    I would forget any short courses as you WILL get ripped off.
    Write to all your local pluming companies and speak to all the merchants and ask about apprenticeships.
    JTL will have some information but be prepared for a long(could take years)wait for any vacancies.
    As has been said apprentices and experienced tardesmen getting paid off so not the time to start looking.

5. mad.max

mad.max New Member

(wetnec) Have a look at Riaz Plumbers,have you doin outside taps in minutes,save you a bundle.

Is that where you learnt.? How mant OS taps at 35 quid all in do you have to do to earn your £200 a day?

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Do your research into where the work is before you re-train as anything.

Plumbing is overcrowded and highly cut throat at the moment. far too many plumbers chasing too little work.

You don't want to leap out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Do not believe what the training courses tell you either - it's all lies - and not just plumbing courses - most other re-training courses are a big scam. They don't care two hoots about you - only your money.

Be very very careful what decisions you make as there are plenty of sharks out there waiting to bite.

7. tightenit

tightenit New Member

What job were you doing before the redundancy?

8. wetnec

wetnec New Member

quid all in do you have to do to earn your £200 a day?

6,cant you count,thicko. :^O :^O

9. mad.max

mad.max New Member

so, wetnec, where do you nick all your fittings from?

10. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

11. dangermouse46

dangermouse46 New Member

There are no good training providers; they are a money making racket who defraud gullable and naive fools! Fact is the plumbing and heating trade is awash with clueless course cowboys who expect to learn the job in a month after being a milkman all their life ***!

Better off stacking shelves in sainsburys and leave the trade to us established pro's!

12. wetnec

wetnec New Member

so, wetnec, where do you nick all your fittings from?

You should call yerself "Mad Mullet" cos yer caught hook,line and sinker.Nows the opportunity for you to slink away.I wouldnt get out bed for £35.00 an hour let alone do a OS tap. Got to go,fitting a bathroom suite today,£50 quid. :^O :^O

13. wetnec

wetnec New Member

Well said Mousey ;)

14. mad.max

mad.max New Member

wetnec

Re: New garden tap from bathroom water supply..!?
    Posted: Aug 5, 2009 7:02 PM Reply

[b]I,m in london e2,I would complete the whole job for £35,but being as your such an *,kiss my * [

[Edited by: admin]

15. wetnec

wetnec New Member

As been said before Mad Max,youre the most sane on this forum. :^O

16. Henk Kroon

Henk Kroon New Member

Dear Tightenit
    I was Director of Sales and Marketing in the Biotech industry until recently. Have wanted to set up in business on my own for quite a few years, and have a little plumbing experience (have fitted 3 bathrooms, 3 showers, 6 kitchens and a few outside taps :)). The redundancy settlement makes this as good a time as any to start. Most interested in advanced eco-technologies (eg solar heating). What are your thoughts about the best future areas? Thanks and regards - Henk

17. Henk Kroon

Henk Kroon New Member

Dear Bonedry
    Thanks for your comments & advice. I understand its tough in the market, but this is mainly caused by the current economic downturn in that large construction projects are postponed or cancelled, often leading to significant lay-offs. There's an interesting report "Construction Skills Network - Blueprint for UK Construction Skills 2008-2012" that details two phases: one of recession and one of growth. The growth phase sees the UK needing nearly 4,000 new plumbers/HVAC engineers by 2013 compared to today, so the market - in the mid-term - looks strong.

I looked at the JTL website (thanks for the tip), but their programs are structured for youngsters doing a 4-year apprenticeship. I was looking for recommendations for an accellerated theoretical/practical course, that can then be supplemented with practical work. My aim is to create and run a plumbing business, but founded on industry and practical knowledge. Any suggestions or thoughts would be very welcome.
    Cheers - Henk

18. Henk Kroon

Henk Kroon New Member

Dear Captain Leaky
    Many thanks for your comments and warnings. Some of the training providers do have very pushy salepeople, which, as a former salesman myself, always makes me suspicious! :-/

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for reputable training organisations for accellerated theory/practical work, and do you have any tips for interesting future areas I should consider concentrating on?
    Thanks again - Henk

19. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Didnt think there was still the like of you about '*', I mean, I thought all the CC/CCC * were gainfully employed down at ASDA???!!

Looks like a bit of a wind-up by Nurse Loz???!!!

Oh, just in case yer not on a wind up, Plumbers do apprenticeship son!!! So * off!!

[Edited by: admin]

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member

"Construction Skills Network - Blueprint for UK Construction Skills 2008-2012" that details two phases: one of recession and one of growth. The growth phase sees the UK needing nearly 4,000 new plumbers/HVAC engineers by 2013 compared to today, so the market - in the mid-term - looks strong.....compete and utter Bulls**t!

Anyone who falls for this garbage will find out the hard way that it is not true. I wonder who writes these stupid reports. They certainly do not live in the real world.