Can't shut off TRV - even with plastic cap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MalkyMalk, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

I took off bedroom radiator to decorate - was rewarded by lots of water coming out of TRV, so had no alternative but to work quickly and get the pipe ends capped off as quickly as possible.

I then forgot all about it until today, when I finally got around to thinking about putting the radiator back on. Of course, as soon as I loosen the pipe cap, I get water gushing out exactly as before (only this time it's messing up my newly painted walls so I'm even less relaxed about it).

The TRV is a Pegler Terrier, and only about 5 years old, so I'd hope its working fine. The valve settings go down to "0" which I understand is supposed to be fully closed.

I've tried swapping the TRV head with one from another radiator, I've also tried replacing the TRV head with a plastic decorators cap. None appear to push down the valve fully.

I can't think of any alternative now to draining down the system to get my radiator back on. Or am I missing something?

Should I assume the TRV is bust? I've heard of valves being stuck closed, but I would have thought stuck open is less likely? If if try pushing down the valve top with my thumb, I can feel it moving, so doesn't seem to be stuck.

(PS, have posted same query on another forum so apologies to any of you who have seen it elsewhere).

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Try removing the TRV head. Then try pushing the pin downwards - they can sometimes become stuck in the 'open' position. If its stiff then try hitting it gently with a hammer, hopefully this should free it.

3. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

Jitender, thanks. But I've tried that... and as I said, the pin does seem to move when I push on it.

4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

You properly have cr@p on the seating in the valve,what system do you have vented or sealed.

5. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

plumberboy, its a vented system I think (small water tank in the loft).

As to the cr@p, if you mean around the screw thread for the TRV, no, that looks clean enough. If you mean inside the valve, underneath the pin, I don't think there's any way I can get to that so no way to check?

6. plumberboy

Yes that's vented,two options then drain system to replace valve,or bung tank feed and vent to cause a vacuum.How are your plumbing skills?Not good then drain whole system.
    Confident then bung tank.;)

7. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

Confident then bung tank.;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I wasn't thinking of replacing the valve, only about how I was going to get the darn radiator back on safely. You're right that if it is not working then replacing makes sense, but fitting a new one sounds like a whole extra world of pain.:eek:

8. plumberboy

Drain system and replace valve,easy job really.No point having a valve that doesn't work as your finding out now.:(

MalkyMalk likes this.
  9. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

Memories of the last time I had to remove and replace a compression fitting suggest differently. :rolleyes:

But thank you for the advice, which sounds good.

10. plumberboy

No worries.;)

11. MalkyMalk

MalkyMalk New Member

OK - one day and one visit to beeandqueue later. Just for once, the "easy job" has gone according to plan. Drained below the radiator, removed TRV, fitted new TRV, replaced radiator, refilled system, bled radiators, no leaks! Shame the carpet fitting didn't go as well, but you can't have everything...

Thanks for the advice.

12. plumberboy

Good man,well done.;)

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Did you add an inhibitor to you system when you refilled it?