Capping gas meter in winter??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CookieMonster, Jan 21, 2017.

1. CookieMonster

CookieMonster New Member

Hi all,

Have an empty property and need to have the meter capped to prevent gas being used in joint-owners' absence.

Is capping the meter in winter a nuts thing to do? I've been given conflicting advice and one person said it runs the risk of freezing/damaging pipes. Another said there's a setting that caps the meter but allow a small amount of gas for a frost setting at 5 degrees.

Would be so grateful for your expertise. I'll admit I'm a bit lost with this one!!

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If you're talking about a few week's I wouldn't bother.
    Month's however? You might be best off turning the water off and draining everything down.

CookieMonster likes this.
  3. CookieMonster

CookieMonster New Member

Ta. Problem is two joint owners, second owner had to leave property in summer and move very far away and turned boiler off. Someone has turned heating back on and a £600 gas bill arrived for the occupier. Means both owners responsible for bill.

So, main aim is to make sure no one racks up more gas bills or puts property at risk by running boiler all the time.

Basically for up to 3 months the gas supply needs protecting. Would you cap it?

And what do you reckon to the winter situation?

Cheers

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As longs has said. Cap off the gas by all means , but drain down the water system beforehand (no need to worry about frost protection if the water's been drained down) Last thing you'd want is for the property to be flooded by a burst water pipe.

CookieMonster likes this.
  5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Drain down.
    Normal insurance condition is that if a property is left un-occupied for more that 30 days they will not pay out.

CookieMonster and KIAB like this.
  6. CookieMonster

CookieMonster New Member

Thanks all, much appreciated.

7. This is weird.

You share a second home with a joint owner - who isn't there at the moment - but someone else turned the gas boiler on and landed you with a £600 bill?

Don't you have control over who uses the house? Who turned the boiler on? And why?

Anyhoo, sounds to me as tho' capping orf the actual gas supply is nuts; there are easier ways of preventing the boiler from being used - like putting a big bludy sign on it saying "OFF!". Or pulling the supply fuse. Or by having some actual control over the property that supposedly belongs to you...

Capping off the gas with need a GasSafe, and again for reinstating.

And you'd need to drain down the water side as well 'cos this is where the big risk will be, especially if there's no heating available to prevent freezing.

So, why not simply turn off the gas using the lever valve before the meter, drain down the water system, switch it orf at the boiler FSU, and leave a big bludy sign on the boiler to the effect of "DANGER! System has been drained down and gas isolated. Do NOT attempt to use this boiler."

And then shoot anyone who tries to.

longboat and KIAB like this.
  8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Whilst capping the gas and draining the system may seem like a sensible thing to do to prevent unauthorised use of a central heating system and will certainly work, may I offer an alternative.
    You dont state what boiler you have but if its relativly modern why not have a look at the modern heating controls that can be operated from your phone. The likes of Vaillants V Smart, Worcesters Wave, Nest, Hive or any similar product.
    By installing one of these whoever has the app on their phone has total control over the heating and hot water, you can set it at a moderate 15 degrees to prevent freezing or you can increase or decrease at you leisure from anywhere. You will also be aware if it is manually over-ridden and can make any adjustment you deem suitable.
    Welcome to the 21st century where the power is in your hands

Alternativly do the isolating and draining and remove the 3 amp fuse from the boilers fused spur, but that is so 20th century ;)

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Capping the Gas would entail work requiring a gas safe engineer would it not?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

It would indeed if you want it done safely

11. It would indeed. And again when reinstating it.

It's NUTS I tell ye.

12. Your obviously not Gas registered then ?

13. No.

What difference does that make? That I'm advocating GasSafes lose a potential wee job?

I - personally - think that capping off the gas supply before winters and then reinstating it in Springs/Summers as a solution to unwanted boiler use is nuts.

Weird. Mad. Complete overkill. Loony.

"Oh, I fancy a New Year break at the holiday home - I wonder where I can find a GasSafe to reconnect me...?"

It's chust nuts, man. NUTS I tell ye.

(But at least I don't go overboard.)

Joe95 likes this.
  14. What does (CHUST) mean? Is it a typing error or are you chust nuts

15. I'm chust buts. Which is worse than being just nuts... :oops:

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Another solution would be to have a full-bore gas valve in a locked cupboard.

If it's just the boiler you want off, rather then any fires or cookers, then you could put an MK key switch in, so you can't turn it on without tampering with the wiring.

But, no matter what way I look at it, It's chust nuts!

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You chust don't understand DA ... Chust give it a while and it may all come clear and chust don't fret about it.

18. You from the utter Hebrides, Pollo?!!! :D

(Or chust taking the pish... :oops:)

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You askin' where I bide?

20. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

The easiest answer is keys, yes that's right keys, assuming one owner is out of the country then who has access to the property? Make sure there's only one person holding keys, leave boiler on a low setting to protect from frost or damp and job done. On a low setting the boiler won't use that much gas, don't forget it's not just about preventing pipes from freezing, there are other issues too, however if only one person has access to the property then they and only they can be held responsible for gas, electric, or anything else that is used.