Card acceptance

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mark Wright, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

Being out and about most days going from job to job - there are instances where your client wishes to pay by card after you have arrived at their property. They dont have the cash or cheque books (do people still us this payment option?) and asking them to go to a local cashpoint is out of the question.

Question to remote tradesmen, how is your companies currently accepting card payments when in the field?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Izettle

3. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

Jitender, how have you found using Izettle? I have heard and researched that a lot of times the payments don't seem to work as there is little or no data connectivity. Also, do you have more than 1 device, or are you a sole trader?

Kind regards

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I havet used myself, not a sole trader,, but this is something that a tradesman used when I had some work done.

5. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

I see. So from a constomers perspective, if a tradesman offered you card payment by phoning a landline and entering your details into an IVR (interactive voice response) system what would your thoughts be?

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

plastic's a nasty business, customer wants job doing, plumber does job and gets cash, simple,
    with plastic and cheques you are involving middle men, blood sucking,desk riding pen pushers who force up prices to justify their fees,o_O

chippie244 likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Lol so true, but give it 10 years and cash will not exist due to the blood sucking leaches that have control over our very existence, after all the average working man is expected to pay tax on every penny they own, but banks can give information to millionaires in have to avoid paying any. :rolleyes: :mad:

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is what happend to me as a customer, I went through the process of payment with the trade person, entered all my pin details etc.

After a while the trade person said that the payment had not gone through. I was unsure at the time, and it took a few minutes when I was about to make a second payment! it then said on his account that the payment had gone through

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

cash will never go, and you have to wonder why, drugs,gambling,robbery,prostitution and underhand dealings with police,politicians and underworld would all cease to exist, So somebody somewhere doest want all the crime to go,

crazy innit :confused:

10. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

I wouldn't suggest that a future cashless society is brought on by card schemes, or banks but rather by a norm and demand in customer behaviors. Card payments are the preferred payment option for 70% of the UK which is about a 10 -15% growth from the previous year.

I think the pain points with card acceptance is that there is not many payment processors that try to understand the needs of businesses, nor make it easy to understand what costs are involved, which in most cases are not a reflection on the businesses volumes.

But that's just an opinion of a blood sucking leech.

11. Phil the Paver

I must be old fashioned, I still pay by cash, even going to a cashpoint to get it to buy something with, I just feel that I have a sense of achievement by paying cash, plastic seems false somehow.

12. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

You can't beat cash on the hip.;)

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Prefer it in the back pocket :)

plumber-boy likes this.
  14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

don't forget to take it out of the pocket before you get home Dave, If the missus smells it as you get in, its hers :oops:

15. Cash is king card machines go wrong or theres a power cut but that wad of twenties will always work, plus spending cash hurts plastic doesn't when your just chucking a card in a machine you don't see your money disappearing, thats why i always prefer cash

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have had a debit card for many years. Last year I got accepted for a credit card. I mostly use his when buying items online but always make sure it is paid every month which is done by direct debit. Only got it to improve my credit rating, the limit has now increased after 6 months.

i also have read that if you pay for itemd or service through a credit card, then the credit card co is also responsible for it. For example you pay in part using a credit card. For new windows, a few weeks later there are faults you discover with the install. Maybe someone can verify..

17. Phil the Paver

Read this, all you need to know.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

FatHands and Jitender like this.
  18. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

Doesn't this suggest that having your customers pay by card would be a smart option as they wouldn't feel as if they are forking out money for a job? I understand that card machines are NOT the answer, especially remotely, as they have a ton of issues with data connection which causes more issues than solving problems.

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're on a loser here Mark, tradesmen will always want cash payment, even your hoity toity customers like to pay cash and avoid VAT and they should know better as most are middle management desk driving pen pushing leeches,:rolleyes:

20. Mark Wright

Mark Wright New Member

Cash transactions still face VAT charges, as this is nothing to do with the method of payment. You may be correct in suggesting that tradesmen prefer cash payments, but more importantly customers will always prefer to pay by card.