Care for Hardwood worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FinnFinn, Mar 30, 2015.

1. FinnFinn

FinnFinn New Member

Hi guys,

I used reclaimed solid hardwood to make my kitchen worktop - it's my first every project so I'm not too clued up on how to seal and finish things. There are a few questions:
    1. some of the wood is quite flaky in parts, it breaks off and splinters when you brush over it. How do I get these glued down so the surface is totally smooth and splinter free?
    2. there are 5cm holes in the wood from where iron rods ran through it when it was a train carriage. I like these as a feature but need them filled so nothing falls down them. What is the best way to fill these without being too noticeable?
    3. I need to seal the wood and make it waterproof - what's the best way of doing this without making it glossy or changing the original wood too much?

So far I've lightly sanded the wood a few times but didn't want to do anything too harsh in case I lose the aged look of the wood.

All help and advice extremely welcome!

Best,

Finn

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Try and cut out the flakey parts, use your offcuts to make 5cm plugs then sand the whole thing down. I would oil it , top and underside. Hope this helps Finn , cheers

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Osmo Top Oil 3028 is good, has a satin finish.
    They also do several otheers in their range, Osmo Top Oil 3068 has a matt finish is another one I've used.
    But, with any finish, preparation is paramount, probabley looking at 3 coats, but allow each coat to dry throughly before applying the next.

http://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=255

Jitender likes this.
  4. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I would use hard wax oil as you only have to put on 3 coats ( instead of about 15 with Danish oil ;)) Treatex hard wax oil is the one I allways use.

Jitender and Gatt like this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks, I wasn't aware that my worktops needed 15 coats of danish oil.

I have just ordered a tin of Treatex hard wax oil.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just used some osmo hard wax oil. A good product and the finish is superb.

The oil is quite thick so only needs light brushing or better to use a cloth.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The tin I had had skinned over inside so had to poke a screwdriver inside to break it.

8. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Always use a cloth for most wood finishes as it seams to get into the wood better I normally flood the surface then clean off with cloths until I'm happy then leave to dry

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

For this I would use an angle grinder with nylon backing wheel and 20 grit abrasive disc. This will tear out all the snotty wood. then you can go on to clean it all up.

10. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Finn, I think all Osmo products are the dogs dangly bits.

As for the snotty bits I would make myself a small template out of mdf hold in place with 4 16gauge pins and using a bush on my router I would cut the snots out like that. The pin holes are just that and will fill easily.

Sounds like an interesting little job, good luck.