Carpentry prices

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by D4rr4nd4vies, Oct 11, 2014.

1. D4rr4nd4vies

D4rr4nd4vies New Member

Hi can anyone tell me please the going prices for first and second fix carpentry (basically erecting timber frame house from start to finish. Price for framing, per door/lining, kitchen, stairs the whole lot) if anyone can help that'll be great.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I duuno what the prices are today but while i'm in a waffling mood I'll tell you about a site I was on in 1988, there were no power on sites then,battery tools had't been invented yet and generators had't become cheap enough for working men to buy so everthing was hand tools, a plumber would use a rawdrill for putting holes into masonary, a joiner would use a brace and bit,
    Everything was price work and at that time a tradesman would aim for £40/50 per day, I saw a joiner hanging front doors, his name was Eric and he was useing an axe to take the door down to the required width, they were mostly 2 inches wider than needed, so he was axing the 2 inches off then planeing with a jack plane for a smooth staight finish, he got £12.5 per door so he needed at least 4 to earn his money, he could do it but was moaning that he was the only joiner on site that had the required skill to do this, So the moral of this waffle is, if you have any special skills be a better negotiator or you get bumshafted by the management,

FatHands and H3xc0d3 like this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think you will be struggling for any real help mate. That's quite a lot of info you want. All I can say is internal doors between £50 and £80 a door, but that's domestic not site prices. You want to be looking at aiming for minimum £160 a day more like £200.

FatHands and MrKieran like this.
  4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

just now i mentioned Eric who was/still is good with an axe, well i've been practicing and I'm a way off yet but this is me impersonating Eric with his axe,

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

woops forgot to add link, :oops:

plumberboy likes this.
  6. mak

mak Member

I always use a sword to trim down doors so much quicker than an axe

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

a wilkinson mak 3 sword perhaps :)

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I always use a swordfish to trim doors down. Hes been working with me for years. He recently brought his mate an electric eel along and now I don't need a generator.

9. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

You should be aiming for £150 to £200 a day. If busy £250. Good luck

FatHands likes this.