ceiling heating thermostat problems

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Nyall Spurling, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nyall Spurling

Nyall Spurling New Member

Hi I am new to this so bear with me :).
    I have ceiling heating in my house which I am in the process of removing in time but for now two of the thermostats have broken I was wondering if anyone could help me source some new ones. Im not sure what to replace them with. The ones that are in there at the moment are honeywell 240v rated at 20amps. Hope someone can help.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I had to replace some of these a while ago for a customer and I had trouble finding 20 amp rated ones so I linked a stat. out and done a current test and found it was well under 16 amps so I fitted normal Honeywell ones. Do check the current draw though just in case you have higher rated elements!

3. Nyall Spurling

Sounds like a good idea can I check the amps with a digital multimeter and which wires do I test it with

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You need to test AC amps but most of the smaller/cheaper digital meters don't have a range for that. If yours does have an AC amps range just connect one meter lead to one of the stat. wires and the other one to the other stat. wire.

5. Nyall Spurling

Thanks very much for your help. Is there ome on the screwfix website you could recommend me tp buy to test this. I could do with a multimeter for some other work I do.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Screwfix 48905 Philex multimeter.
    This one does AC current up to 20 amps.
    They do list a cheaper one but it doesn't have an AC current range.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Allybally

Allybally Member

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That should do the job ok.

9. Nyall Spurling

Thanks for that turns out theres a shop just down the road that sells them. Cheers guys

10. Nyall Spurling

Hi there just a quick update I have looked at my fuse box for the ceiling heating. I havenlooked at the fuses for it and there all have 15 amps on them except one which is 20 amps. Does this mean I could fit the honeywell t4360b which is rated at 16 amps to the one that are rated at 15 amps at the fuse box. The only reason I ask thisnis because the honeywell ones are nicer looking and dont cost as much. Cheers

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that will be ok, in fact I think that's what I done on the job I mentioned, I could only find 16 amp rated ones.

12. Nyall Spurling

I take it with the 20 amp breaker which is for the living room I wont be able to fit the honeywell 16 amp thermostat because it would be to high a rating. So for that one I will probably nuy the sunvic one to be safe.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It depends on whether that breaker is bigger because the element is a of higher wattage or not. You could try connecting that heater to one of your 15 amp breakers and seeing if it trips. (although the proper way would be to measure the current draw)

14. Allybally

Allybally Member

Have to agree the sunvics are pretty ugly, I normally install them in nursing homes, not houses, but there the only ones I've ever found other than using a contactor, might be worth purchasing a clamp meter, it'll always come in handy, just to have in the tool box, (just tell the wife that)

Let us know the verdict

Ally

15. Nyall Spurling

At the moment im just waiting for a honeywell to be delivered. I think I might buy a clamp meter anyway any on screwfix that you recommend my in laws got me a screwfix voucher for christmas and its burning a hole in my pocket now.

16. Allybally

Allybally Member

I had the kewtech one for a few months while my tools got replaced after they were stollen, £40 odd quid I paid, really good for price

Ally